Jan 14, 2013, 6:13 PM EST
In case anyone was thinking Arizona’s plan was to let Heath Bell set up for a year and then turn the closer’s role over to him in 2014, the Diamondbacks made it clear Monday that they intend to keep the status quo; they signed J.J. Putz to a one-year, $7 million extension for 2014, the Arizona Republic’s Nick Piecoro reports.
The soon-to-be 36-year-old Putz was already under control for 2013 at $6.5 million after having his club option picked up.
Putz has turned in three straight relatively healthy seasons since missing a chunks of 2008 and ’09 with shoulder problems, though he hasn’t topped 60 innings since 2007. Still very effective, he’s 77-for-86 saving games with a 2.48 ERA in two seasons with the Diamondbacks.
The move means the Diamondbacks’ three top relievers are all signed through 2014. Bell is owed another $21 million, though the Marlins are covering $8 million of that. David Hernandez will make $1.5 million this year and $2 million in 2014.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (294)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)