Great Moments in media awareness: Jack O’Connell, Secretary/Treasurer of the BBWAA

Jan 14, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Cooperstown

Eno Sarris of FanGraphs writes up a media conference call which took place after last week’s Hall of Fame announcement.  The primary subject: the response of the powers that be to calls for change to the voting process and stuff. I wasn’t drinking a beverage when I read this passage, but if I would have been, I would have done a major spit-take:

Perhaps the most illuminating question was asked and answered quickly. One writer wanted to know what the BBWAA would say to those writers that were voting on suspicions. O’Connell said he wasn’t aware of any writers that were doing so and hadn’t seen anything on the subject.

Given how many writers have explicitly said that they’re not voting for Bagwell and others based on their suspicion alone — Eno cites several — this can only mean that the guy who basically runs the BBWAA doesn’t read much of his membership’s writing. Awkward.

Or, I suppose, it could mean that he knows his membership is doing ridiculous things and chooses to simply pretend that they aren’t so as to maintain the seemingly preferred BBWAA stance which insists that the current setup cannot be improved upon.

1. braddavery - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I’m starting to think that you aren’t too keen on the BBHOF and the BBWAA.

• jeffbbf - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Why the hell would the Secretary/Treasurer be interviewed on this subject? And why would anyone care what his answer is? Wouldn’t the President or the marketing folks be more inclined to have their finger on the pulse? Since when is the treasurer of a company interviewed on anything other than financial issues? Did the treasurer of Microsoft get interviewed on why the Zune didn’t find roots? Again…just more silliness on the subject and another attempt to make a mountain out of a molehill.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM

The BBWAA is not like most organizations. Presidents (currently Susan Slusser) have one year terms. They come and go and they are far busier with their day jobs (Slusser covers the A’s for the San Francisco Chronicle). McConnell runs the organization on a day to day basis and wields considerable power over membership, bylaws, everything. He was on this conference call for that very reason.

2. cur68 - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I’m done being surprised at this stuff. Still appalled, but surprised? Not any more.

• historiophiliac - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

So, can we be done with it then?

• cur68 - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Well, I’d love it if we were because it would likely mean actual baseball is being played by MLB players. Alas, we have some time to go yet. In the meantime we’ll have to make to do with the stuff former players say, the things that sportswriters are putting out there and internet trolling.

• historiophiliac - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Well, at least you didn’t go all class warfare on me this time.

• cur68 - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM

You just be grateful I left Wonder Woman alone. . .speaking of whom, can’t you just picture Kiana Kim in a Wonder Woman costume? Yowza. Pete Rose may not be in the HoF but he’s still a legend in the park.

• historiophiliac - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

IDK who that is.

• cur68 - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Man, girls and their lack of sports knowledge! sigh

Here: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rosepe01.shtml

• historiophiliac - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Seriously, you think I’m gonna click on that? Canadians are cute.

• cur68 - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Ok, I get it. Pete Rose is a controversial figure and all. I’ll just tell you what the link says so you won’t have baseballref cookies in your website data.
        So Pete Rose started his career in 1963. He amassed over 4200 hits in his career which lasted until 1986. He was a player/manager at the end of his career which was in 1986. He SHOULD be in the HoF but he got in hot water for betting on baseball games. He’s been banned from all official baseball duties and from the HoF. His nickname while playing was “Charlie Hustle”. He is among the most famous baseball players of his generation. He was also something of an asshole, too. I think he’s been married like 20, maybe 30 times. He’s currently married, or engaged to, or co-habitating with for the purposes of TV or some such otherworldly bizzaredness, Kianna Kim who enjoys some fame herself (as you doubtless well know). You’re welcome.

• historiophiliac - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I knew who Rose is, duh. It’s that Kim person I was unfamiliar with.

• cur68 - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Hey! One of us is deliberately misunderstanding the other!
        /polishes monocle huffily/ summons butler with finger-snap for cooling beverage to be served in drawing room/ grabs Wonder Woman/ storms out

• historiophiliac - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Yeeeaaaahhhhh, my ex father-in-law tried that attempting to have me fetch a drink for him thing. Didn’t work out for him so much.

3. skids003 - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Blind leading the blind. Or he has been off planet lately.

4. vallewho - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Out of touch and/or lack of integrity…yeah the HOF.

5. raysfan1 - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Spit take no, nausea yes. Now to go find where I put the Phenergan…

6. jwbiii - Jan 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM

We are making the assumption that baseball writers actually do read about baseball. Do we have much justification for this assumption?

7. djpostl - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

This one ranks right up there with Bud “The Dud” Selig’s “I am not getting any letters from fans regarding instant replay”.

8. randygnyc - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I suspect there must be a contextual mistake here, right? I doubt he’s dumb. Or that aloof. Or so disconnected.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2522)