Mariners and Diamondbacks talking to the Tigers about Rick Porcello

Jan 14, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT

Both the M’s and the Diamondbacks have made significant trades with Dave Dombrowski’s Tigers in recent years. So this is not terribly surprising:

I wonder if this is serious or, rather, if this is being floated by the Tigers in order to goose the Cubs and/or Orioles into going further down the road with that three-team trade rumored last week.

In other news, it’s really hard to tell what’s real and what’s just being thrown out there for perception and leverage this time of year.

1. Ben - Jan 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Do people just not remember how young Porcello is, and good his pedigree is? He’s been a pretty decent pitcher for four seasons, he just turned 25, and he always seems like he could break out. Seems odd to give up a cost-controlled 3-win pitcher who could be more.

• Ben - Jan 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM

(I’m not saying he’s going to turn into a stud or something, but all he has to do is improve his command a tiny bit, and his strikeout rate a tiny bit and you’ve basically got Brad Radke, which has real value)

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Do people just not remember how young Porcello is, and good his pedigree is?

You make him sound like a prize Beagle (or a champion Basset Hound).

• Ben - Jan 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Heh, yeah, I suppose so. And I was wrong, he’s in his age 24 season, not 25. Crazy.

2. darthicarus - Jan 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I’m curious who the Tigers are interested in from Arizona.

• jerze2387 - Jan 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Justin Upton.

3. fahlso - Jan 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I like a Porcello, he is a good young arm, but his talents do not fit with this Tigers D. Porcello is a pure groundball pitcher and Detroit’s D needs pop ups and strike outs. When Jhonny Peralta has the most range of any of your infielders groundballs can be a scary proposition.

I wonder if they are making a push for Upton, though I’m not sure how good he really is.

If I’m DD, I hold on to Porcello for as long as I can. Injuries happen, Fister and Scherzer both missed starts last year, and Porcello (or Smyly) would be a solid replacement.

4. Minoring In Baseball - Jan 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Porcello isn’t a strike-out pitcher like JV and Max. His numbers would greatly increase on a team with more of a solid defense. He has more value than maybe his stats show.
    -Mike

5. djjackson81 - Jan 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Man if Detroit ask for Upton who else would the Dbacks ask for.

• weaselpuppy - Jan 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I assume an Upton package would be built around Castellanos or Garcia, with Porcello and some relief arms or middle infielders that are a couple years away.

Jackson Hunter Miggy Biggy VMart JUpton Peralta Avila Infante?

Me likey.