Jan 14, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
Nick Blackburn was already facing an uphill battle to rejoin the Twins’ rotation thanks to his awful performance during the past few seasons, but now he may not even be healthy for spring training.
Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that Blackburn will undergo wrist surgery and will be in a cast for at least six weeks. He previously underwent surgery to remove a bone chip from his elbow in October.
Blackburn is owed $5.5 million in the final season of a misguided contract extension handed out by the Twins, but he was dropped from the 40-man roster (and predictably went unclaimed on waivers) amid a career-worst season in which he threw 99 innings with a 7.39 ERA.
For all the talk of needing to improve their rotation the Twins haven’t exactly made any impact moves to actually do so this offseason and Blackburn’s injury further thins out the fifth starter candidates.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Jason Vargas, who spent last season in the Angels’ rotation before signing with the Royals as a free agent, will start Game 1 for Kansas City.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
The Angels have announced their rotation for the ALDS against the Royals.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Tony Cruz gets the nod as Yadier Molina’s backup.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
Welp, there’s two reasons he’ll never accept an invitation to my house.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
ALDS manager drama!
Oct 1, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The Tuesday wild card game got ratings 14% higher than last year’s Tuesday wild card game.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Not a ton of surprises. Gaby Sanchez in at first over Ike Davis because of the lefty on the hill. Otherwise, play ball.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Ron Gardenhire was fired Monday after 13 seasons, the last four of which have seen the Twins lose 90 or more games.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Somehow, it all seemed to tie this strange 2014 season together in one fitting package, though the end result wasn’t what anyone in green and gold wanted.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Thanks for sharing, Aubrey.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright will start Game 1 against Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
The Royals, like just about every other team in baseball, have an analytics department. Apologies if that messes with your preconceptions.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
At least he got to pitch this season. That was fun.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
The Royals may not have won the AL Wild Card if not for the confounding decisions of manager Ned Yost.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He hit just .229 with a .659 OPS in 67 games after June 1 and batted .193 in September.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
But there’s a tale of bribery involved in all of this too.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Starting pitchers Francisco Liriano and Gerrit Cole off the Wild Card game roster, which is fairly typical.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Another night, another one-and-done game.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
Not a ton of glitzy names here. At least not yet.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 40
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)