Quote of the day: Fernando Rodney on playing for his country in the WBC

Jan 14, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Fernando Rodney AP

From our friend Nick Collias of MLB Trade Rumors was reading the Dominican Republic newspaper El Caribe this morning and passes along a pretty interesting interview with Rays closer Fernando Rodney. Who is going to play in the World Baseball Classic for the D.R. and does not care what the Rays have to say about it.  From Collias:

Fernando Rodney was asked if he’s playing by Neftali Ruiz at the dominican paper El Caribe and said, “I want to represent the country. It will be a pleasure to be there in the dominican uniform.” Asked about gaining permission from the Rays, Rodney replied, “You don’t have to ask permission to represent your country.”
I’ve not yet seen any reports about teams discouraging, let alone ordering their players against playing in the WBC, but it’s interesting to see Rodney heading this off at the pass.
  1. El Bravo - Jan 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Represent!

2. raysfan1 - Jan 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

He’s right and it should never be an issue.

3. crispybasil - Jan 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I’d assume that if a team denied one player’s request to play in the WBC, they’d have to do it with all of their players…even if the player in question was Grady Sizemore injury-prone.

4. papacrick - Jan 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I’ll never forget running into him outside a bar in Royal Oak when he played for the Tigers. He pulls up in his black excursion with the bass booming a weed smoke pouring from the car when he and Freddy Dolsi (crap relief pitcher) pop out. My friend says “I love you Rodney” and he stops and goes “really? You love me?” then proceeds on his way

5. timpaz - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM

What took them so long, Dbacks haven’t been the same team, sine they fired Melvin , solid baseball man.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet