Jan 14, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
David Wendt, a Double-A catcher in the Rays’ farm system, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for Methylhexaneamine.
Several other minor leaguers have been suspended for Methylhexaneamine during the past year, including Blue Jays first-round pick Marcus Stroman.
Here’s what Liam Casey of the Toronto Star wrote about the drug at the time of Stroman’s suspension:
Methylhexaneamine can be found in popular training supplements sold at nutritional and drug stores. While it’s chemically related to amphetamines, it’s only slightly more powerful than a cup of coffee, according to Greg Wells, a kinesiology professor at the University of Toronto who has educated Olympic athletes on doping rules.
“It’s a short-acting stimulant, but it’s not something that we need to hang this guy up for anything like that,” Wells said. “It’s not a big deal.”
Wendt is a non-prospect as a 26-year-old who’s hit just .235 with a .597 OPS in four seasons as a pro, but he probably thinks having to sit out two months is a big deal.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)