Jan 14, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
David Wendt, a Double-A catcher in the Rays’ farm system, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for Methylhexaneamine.
Several other minor leaguers have been suspended for Methylhexaneamine during the past year, including Blue Jays first-round pick Marcus Stroman.
Here’s what Liam Casey of the Toronto Star wrote about the drug at the time of Stroman’s suspension:
Methylhexaneamine can be found in popular training supplements sold at nutritional and drug stores. While it’s chemically related to amphetamines, it’s only slightly more powerful than a cup of coffee, according to Greg Wells, a kinesiology professor at the University of Toronto who has educated Olympic athletes on doping rules.
“It’s a short-acting stimulant, but it’s not something that we need to hang this guy up for anything like that,” Wells said. “It’s not a big deal.”
Wendt is a non-prospect as a 26-year-old who’s hit just .235 with a .597 OPS in four seasons as a pro, but he probably thinks having to sit out two months is a big deal.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead