Jan 14, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
The market for free agent reliever Rafael Soriano has been pretty weak this winter, mostly because of the draft pick compensation tied to him after he opted out of his contract with the Yankees and then rejected a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer. However, the deep-pocketed Dodgers could come to the rescue.
Dodgers have been looking into possibility of signing Rafael Soriano, but it's probably still a longshot - say, 20 percent chance.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 14, 2013
“20 percent chance” isn’t much, but it’s higher than anything else we’ve heard with Soriano lately. It’s worth noting that if the Dodgers were to sign him, they would have to surrender their first-round pick for 2013. Zack Greinke didn’t cost the Dodgers a draft pick because the Angels acquired him midseason last year and thus were not permitted to make him a qualifying offer before he hit free agency.
Soriano, 33, posted a 2.26 ERA and 69/24 K/BB ratio over 67 2/3 innings with the Yankees in 2012 and went 42-for-46 in save chances while filling in for the injured Mariano Rivera. The Dodgers currently plan to go into the season with Brandon League as their closer.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (244)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (147)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)