Jan 14, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
The market for free agent reliever Rafael Soriano has been pretty weak this winter, mostly because of the draft pick compensation tied to him after he opted out of his contract with the Yankees and then rejected a one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer. However, the deep-pocketed Dodgers could come to the rescue.
Dodgers have been looking into possibility of signing Rafael Soriano, but it's probably still a longshot - say, 20 percent chance.—
Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 14, 2013
“20 percent chance” isn’t much, but it’s higher than anything else we’ve heard with Soriano lately. It’s worth noting that if the Dodgers were to sign him, they would have to surrender their first-round pick for 2013. Zack Greinke didn’t cost the Dodgers a draft pick because the Angels acquired him midseason last year and thus were not permitted to make him a qualifying offer before he hit free agency.
Soriano, 33, posted a 2.26 ERA and 69/24 K/BB ratio over 67 2/3 innings with the Yankees in 2012 and went 42-for-46 in save chances while filling in for the injured Mariano Rivera. The Dodgers currently plan to go into the season with Brandon League as their closer.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
It was reported over the weekend that the Dodgers and Cubs were among the teams with interest in a trade for Mets left-hander Jon Niese.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:28 PM EDT
Ramirez has been cleared to swing a bat and Red Sox manager John Farrell is optimistic that he’ll be able to return during the team’s four-game series in Toronto this week.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Moore had Tommy John surgery last April.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Casilla has mostly played at the Triple-A level for the past two seasons.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Cron hit well at Triple-A, batting .323 with six homers and a 1.014 OPS.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
It’ll only cost you a cool $3.8 million.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
More bad health news for a guy who has had his fair share of it in his brief career.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
As of now, Ruben Amaro is in control here, in the White House. Er, I mean in the Phillies’ front office.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT
Six of the eight spots seem all but settled.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
By this time next week we may have an actually acceptable All-Star squad for the Junior Circuit.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
I know which one I’d choose, but then again I’m biased on the subject.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:22 PM EDT
Alejandro De Aza is starting in his place.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
He will become President, overseeing baseball and business operations, at the end of the season.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:21 PM EDT
Billingsley has missed six weeks.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
It wasn’t just the Giants who signed on to the amicus brief.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
He’s a second baseman now.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Your memory may trick you into thinking this has happened a lot in the past, but it has only happened twice. And not since Jimmy Carter was president.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Hamilton went 4-for-12 with three RBI in four rehab games for Double-A Frisco and Triple-A Round Rock.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
As are his reason for amassing the collection in the first place.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Quite a change from last year for Jimenez.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)