Jan 14, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates have re-signed right-hander Jeff Karstens to a one-year contract, pending a physical. It’s believed to be worth $2.5 million, which is less than the $3.1 million he made last year.
Karstens was non-tendered by the Pirates in late-November and there hasn’t been any buzz about him coming back, so this news comes as a bit of a surprise. The Pirates had agreed to a two-year deal with left-hander Francisco Liriano before word of an injury to his right (non-throwing arm) surfaced last week, so one wonders whether this means the club has officially moved on. At the very least, Karstens gives the Pirates a reasonably-priced fallback if the two sides can’t agree to an amended deal.
Karstens, 30, threw just 91 innings in 2012 due to hip and shoulder injuries. He has a 4.31 ERA in 535 innings with Pittsburgh over the past five seasons.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games