Jan 14, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
Jayson Stark reports on several potential rules changes that spun out of last week’s owners meetings. The most notable: coaches and managers will be able to bring an interpreter to the mound for meetings with players who don’t speak fluent English.
No word if Phillies pitchers will get their own English-to-1940s grifter interpreter for when Charlie Manuel comes out for pitching changes. “I don’t even know what ‘what’s the rumpus’ means,” said Cole Hamels, explaining his support for the rule.
Other proposed changes:
- Teams will be permitted to have a seventh coach in uniform; the previous limit was six; and
- The fake-to-third, throw-to-first pickoff move would now be considered a balk.
The first one is because so many teams are hiring assistant hitting coaches. The second rule must be aimed at bloggers and color commentators, who will now no longer be able to say “that move rarely works, so I don’t know why they do it.”
The proposed changes have to now be approved by the union before being implemented.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
Out since spring training with a lat strain, Nationals right-hander Doug Fister is on track to join the Nationals in early May.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
Chase Headley’s walk year is off to a tough start.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Get excited. One of baseball’s most exciting young players is close to making his return.
Apr 24, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
The alleged incident took place last April while the Reds were in Washington, D.C.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
A.J. Griffin was shut down during spring training with right flexor tendinitis and still isn’t feeling right.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Darren Oliver retired last fall after 20 seasons in the majors and now he’s joining the front office of the team who originally drafted him.
Apr 24, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Shane Victorino has been sidelined since spring training with a hamstring strain, but he’ll make his season debut tonight against the Yankees.
Apr 24, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
And knowing is half the battle? Wait, that’s another thing.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
Ivan Nova is the latest pitcher to need Tommy John surgery.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Demoted back to the minors at the end of spring training, Rangers right-hander Neftali Feliz is now on the Triple-A disabled list with what the team is calling arm soreness and inflammation.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
A hated policy preventing Cuban players from playing in other countries is now gone.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
More like Cake Toss, amirite?
Apr 24, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Michael Pineda has been suspended 10 games by MLB after being ejected from last night’s start against the Red Sox for “possessing a foreign substance on his person.”
Apr 24, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
Joe Posnanski says not to overlook The Obviousness Factor when it comes to Michael Pineda and pine tar.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Kay and I talk about what everyone is talking about today
Apr 24, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
In addition to sending Nick Franklin back to the minors following a six-day call-up the Mariners have also dropped right-hander Erasmo Ramirez from their starting rotation and demoted him all the way down to Single-A.
An usher at Progressive Field claims he was fired for not supporting a ballot measure to fund stadium upgrades
Apr 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
You got your politics in my day job! You got your day job in my politics! Heeeyyyy . . .
Apr 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Current pitchers all say they use pine tar to help their grip. A pitcher who has no incentive to lie about that sort of thing says it’s total B.S.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
This is a great afternoon-killer.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Cubs outfielder Justin Ruggiano has been placed on the disabled list after injuring his hamstring trying to chase down a fly ball in yesterday’s loss to the Diamondbacks.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)