Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Want you to know that I spent the weekend writing up a 3,000-word NL East preview for a print publication and that the Phillies portion of it was straight-up and troll-free. It even struck a note of optimism! Maybe the hardest thing I’ve ever done.
So, to rectify things, I link you to Crashburn Alley’s argument that the Phillies make Ryan Howard a platoon player. My only regret: it doesn’t talk about how he’d be best served as being a platoon DH rather than a platoon first baseman, but we take what we can get when we need it.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)