Teams feel like Roy Oswalt “doesn’t want it bad enough”

Jan 14, 2013, 6:49 AM EDT

Roy Oswalt

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe hears that Roy Oswalt “may still want to pitch, but, again, on his terms and perhaps for only a half a season.” He adds:

“… many teams have given up trying to persuade him to pitch, feeling the vibe is that he just doesn’t want it bad enough.”

Sounds about right.  In addition to not pitching very well last season — Oswalt posted a 5.80 ERA over 59 innings for the Rangers — he was not at all happy when Ron Washington moved him to the bullpen.

One can never know what truly lurks in the hearts of men, but there seems to lack a sense of self-awareness in Oswalt.  Dude must think he’s still some ace-for-hire as opposed to, well, what he is.

1. sportsdrenched - Jan 14, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Weren’t there rumblings about this when he was playing regularly?

• genericcommenter - Jan 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I remember when he signed his extension with the Astros way back in 2005 or whenever ( I know he was still in his 20s and the contract was ending in his early 30s), there was talk that might be his last contract and that he wasn’t motivated to play much longer than that, if at all.

2. natslady - Jan 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I don’t care one way or the other about Oswalt, but quote-unquote “15 teams” (including the Nats) are scouting Javy Vazquez, who took a year off–for reasons unspecified–and “isn’t sure” if he’s coming back, is taking his time to decide (decision will “include his family” and won’t be until after the WBC) and, if he does return, only “wants to play for a winner.” Apparently, Oswalt misplayed his cards.

• unclemosesgreen - Jan 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Roy and Javy are actually very similar personalities, family men, homebodies, nothing wrong with that. They both only want to return on their own terms, nothing wrong with that either.

It’s not that Oswalt misplayed his cards somehow, Javy just has much better cards. 8-10 mph makes a big difference.

3. stex52 - Jan 14, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I don’t doubt that it’s true. Not necessarily a knock against a person as a human being. He is very tied to home and family. But it’s hard to argue for him being worth much to a team in that case. I’ll be rather surprised if anyone bites this year.

4. Francisco (FC) - Jan 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I wonder if Oz would be better off converting to RP: it would limit his workload, contribute to conserving his health, make him more valuable to a team as the short stints allow him to go all out. Downside: less money, but come on, he hardly needs it. If it’s the ring he’s looking for (Gollum! Gollum!) he would do better to aim for the 7th or 8th inning role.

• stex52 - Jan 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Not a bad idea, nassty hobbitses. But I kind of doubt it for two reasons:

1. He always seemed (watching him for years) more motivated by pride and just the one-on-one competition. No reason that should work against an RP, but I think he will always view it as a demotion.
      2. I think the training model won’t work for him. He always seemed to take a long time to tune up his four pitches in ST. I thought it was a big error for him to think he could come in fresh and ready mid-season, and so it proved to be. He needs the work to be good (if he still can be). He is more of a long haul pitcher (season-wise) than a short sprint.

• hammyofdoom - Jan 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I was literally watching Sam beat the shit out of Gollum as I read “Nasty hobbitses”. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

5. beefytrout - Jan 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

The Rangers preferred Scott Feldman over Roy Oswalt in the rotation. That’s all you need to know.

6. Bob - Jan 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Oswalt’s always been a diva. Basically quit on the Astros once they went down the take. Hope he’s done for good.

7. xmatt0926x - Jan 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

There doesn’t need to be any speculation as to his desire to play. Just ask him and he will tell you. He does it every season. He’s been quoted several times stating that baseball is nowhere near one of his top priorities. That’s fine and his right to dedicate himself to whatever he chooses but I wouldn’t sign him if I needed a starter who could be counted on or who actually cared about the team. I know the philly Inquirer beat writer wrote that his Phillies teammates found him to be aloof and when his last game of his last season with them ended he split from the clubhouse without a word to anyone. Doesn’t sound like a guy you want to count on when you add what he did in Texas last season.

8. mojosmagic - Jan 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

He has mercenary me first attitude and I’m certain most teams are aware of that and will avoid signing him.

9. drewsylvania - Jan 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM

So much for this guy going out with a positive legacy.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3043)