Jan 14, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
A quite pragmatic announcement from the Miami Marlins:
Miami Marlins Winter Warm Up, which will replace the event that had been called Fanfest, will be held Feb. 9 at Marlins Park.
Of course, it wouldn’t have surprised me for the club to be so tone deaf to hold something called “Fanfest” after they spent the winter basically crapping on the fans.
Should be noted that The Winter Warm Up has what sounds like all the things teams’ “fanfests” usually have. And they’re even promoting it as something that “will be more fan friendly with more access and more focus on baseball” than the old Fanfest was.
Which makes me wonder if they just changed the name to avoid columnists and bloggers and stuff writing things about how cynical it is for the team to have something called Fanfest after they spent the winter basically crapping on fans.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)