Jan 14, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
A quite pragmatic announcement from the Miami Marlins:
Miami Marlins Winter Warm Up, which will replace the event that had been called Fanfest, will be held Feb. 9 at Marlins Park.
Of course, it wouldn’t have surprised me for the club to be so tone deaf to hold something called “Fanfest” after they spent the winter basically crapping on the fans.
Should be noted that The Winter Warm Up has what sounds like all the things teams’ “fanfests” usually have. And they’re even promoting it as something that “will be more fan friendly with more access and more focus on baseball” than the old Fanfest was.
Which makes me wonder if they just changed the name to avoid columnists and bloggers and stuff writing things about how cynical it is for the team to have something called Fanfest after they spent the winter basically crapping on fans.
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 74
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 116
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 21
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 89
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (116)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)