Jan 14, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
A quite pragmatic announcement from the Miami Marlins:
Miami Marlins Winter Warm Up, which will replace the event that had been called Fanfest, will be held Feb. 9 at Marlins Park.
Of course, it wouldn’t have surprised me for the club to be so tone deaf to hold something called “Fanfest” after they spent the winter basically crapping on the fans.
Should be noted that The Winter Warm Up has what sounds like all the things teams’ “fanfests” usually have. And they’re even promoting it as something that “will be more fan friendly with more access and more focus on baseball” than the old Fanfest was.
Which makes me wonder if they just changed the name to avoid columnists and bloggers and stuff writing things about how cynical it is for the team to have something called Fanfest after they spent the winter basically crapping on fans.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)