Jan 14, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
A quite pragmatic announcement from the Miami Marlins:
Miami Marlins Winter Warm Up, which will replace the event that had been called Fanfest, will be held Feb. 9 at Marlins Park.
Of course, it wouldn’t have surprised me for the club to be so tone deaf to hold something called “Fanfest” after they spent the winter basically crapping on the fans.
Should be noted that The Winter Warm Up has what sounds like all the things teams’ “fanfests” usually have. And they’re even promoting it as something that “will be more fan friendly with more access and more focus on baseball” than the old Fanfest was.
Which makes me wonder if they just changed the name to avoid columnists and bloggers and stuff writing things about how cynical it is for the team to have something called Fanfest after they spent the winter basically crapping on fans.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)