Jan 14, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
Brandon Webb won the NL Cy Young Award in 2006. That seems like a gabillion years ago. But he still hasn’t called it quits. We heard recently that he plans to throw for teams this month. Today Troy Renck reports that the Rockies remain interested in him.
It has to be hard to be a gamble/comeback story like Webb. The worst place you could probably wind up is Colorado and its high-elevation farm system, but they’re perpetually in need of pitching so they’re the most interested.
Anyway, in a world where Ben Sheets makes it back and ends his career on a mound rather than on a disabled list, there has to be room for Brandon Webb to give it one last try as well. As someone who enjoyed watching him pitch, I hope he gets a legitimate shot at it.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 22
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 10
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 100
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (101)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)