Jan 14, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
Brandon Webb won the NL Cy Young Award in 2006. That seems like a gabillion years ago. But he still hasn’t called it quits. We heard recently that he plans to throw for teams this month. Today Troy Renck reports that the Rockies remain interested in him.
It has to be hard to be a gamble/comeback story like Webb. The worst place you could probably wind up is Colorado and its high-elevation farm system, but they’re perpetually in need of pitching so they’re the most interested.
Anyway, in a world where Ben Sheets makes it back and ends his career on a mound rather than on a disabled list, there has to be room for Brandon Webb to give it one last try as well. As someone who enjoyed watching him pitch, I hope he gets a legitimate shot at it.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)