When it comes to the Hall of Fame, maybe THE INTERNET is not as powerful as people think

Jan 14, 2013, 4:30 PM EST

Jack Morris

MEMO

To: THE INTERNET

From: Agent Calcaterra

Re: Agent Neyer

Gentlemen: it has come to my attention that Agent Neyer has publicly doubted the efficacy of THE INTERNET to sway the Hall of Fame voting in favor of our chosen candidates. Apparently he was sleeping when THE INTERNET single handedly took control of the Hall of Fame vote from established baseball writers a few years ago and placed Bert Blyleven in the Hall against the will of THE OLD GUARD.

Whatever the case, this is obviously problematic. If Agent Neyer doubts the efficacy of THE INTERNET to control the process, THE GRAND CONSPIRACY will be imperiled. And you know what that means: Jack Cust will never make it into the Hall of Fame and Hank Aaron will never be removed, which I don’t have to tell you has long been our plan.

All agents are hearby ordered to purge references to Agent Neyer from their computers.  When finished, you are to await further instructions from Agents Jaffe and Sheehan.

Thank you.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Can this blog entry self-destruct in 10 seconds?

• Shafer's Dealer - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

That quip is the only thumbs up I have given you in years, now go shower.

2. kirkvanhouten - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

” I don’t vote for him, but the level of discourse against him, by certain segments of the sabermetric community right now, is over the top. It’s almost a crusade, and it’s ridiculous.” –Ken Rosenthal

Yes, because pointing out that Jack Morris was a good but overrated pitcher and then the reasons for it is “over the top”.

Look, I’m sure it exists because everything exists on the internet somewhere, but overwhelmingly everything I’ve read on Jack Morris and the hall merely points out that his statistical record is pretty far below that of other Hall of Fame pitchers. I think it’s pretty absurd that arguing strongly against Morris on the basis of his 3.90 ERA is now “over the top”.

• alang3131982 - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM

In addition, those arguing against Morris havent ever made anything up (that I’ve seen). Heyman wrote (incorrectly) that Morris was the ace on a team with Blyleven and Stewart, which is just patently false.

How do you rationally discuss something with someone who offers no proof, only lies?

3. markfrednubble - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Brilliant post, Craig.

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM

You were doing so well with that Ryan Howard Platoon post…..and now the relapse

5. paperlions - Jan 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Jack Morris had a fantastic mustache during his playing days, and still does when he isn’t sporting a goatee.

6. goskinsvt - Jan 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I’m detecting a hint of sarcasm

• paperlions - Jan 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Not from me. I just felt like saying something positive about the guy. He was a good pitcher for a long time and he sported some nice facial hair while he did it. Those are all things I genuinely feel to be true.

7. El Bravo - Jan 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

8. sdelmonte - Jan 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

What about Agent JoePo?

9. ezthinking - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Last i checked, Rosenthal, and the crew were on the INTERNET. Multiple websites in fact. And TV on several channels. Douches.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4396)