All of the World Baseball Classic rosters to be announced on Thursday

Jan 15, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT

150px-World_Baseball_Classic_Logo_with_out_text

Announcements of who will play for which WBC team have come out in drips and drabs these past few weeks, but Thursday all of the rosters will be announced on MLB Network:

The Team USA Provisional Roster for the 2013 World Baseball Classic will be announced on MLB Network’s Hot Stove this Thursday, January 17 live at 10:00 a.m … Later in the day, the remainder of the Provisional Rosters for the 16-team field will be announced on MLB Network during a World Baseball Classic Roster Special live at 4:00 p.m. ET.

The WBC will take place from March 2 through the 19th.

1. Rich Stowe - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Does anyone really care about the WBC?

I know I don’t – hate to see players get injured/spend time away from their MLB teams simply to play in a meaningless tourney.

• blacksables - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Yeah, I care. I think it’s great baseball, and great for baseball.

I think it should be every two years.

• mrfloydpink - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

It’s lame when you “comment” just as an excuse to provide a link to your blog.

• Rich Stowe - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM

it’s not lame when I actually have a feeling about it, but the comment would be huge – especally when I already took the time to write about it elsewhere

• mrfloydpink - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Well, you apparently aren’t aware of this, but it’s a breach of Internet etiquette to self-promote like that. Which is why you’re getting all thumbs down.

I also find your opinion pretty lame, too. I mean, the WBC has some pretty nice benefits–promotes the sport of baseball worldwide, allows players to represent their country/heritage, gives fans something to watch, and gets people in some countries (South Korea leaps to mind) very excited.

I’m not saying it’s the greatest, most exciting event in sports, or anything like that. But given that it’s only once every four years, the benefits listed above seem to justify the nominal costs.

Oh, and BTW: You may very well have addressed some of these points in your blog post. I don’t know because I didn’t read it. Because, as noted: lame.

• Alex K - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I love the WBC. I’m also a sucker for the FIFA World Cup.

• tcostant - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I care; I went to all six games in San Diego last year and it was great. It was baseball in it’s puest form watching the Asia teams move runners along. It was great, got see Champman (Cuba team) and Yu (Japan) plan in the states before they signed major league deals. I love it – wish I could go this year…

• tcostant - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

opps – last time, not last “year”

2. hushbrother - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM

*cough* who cares

• mattyflex - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

That awkward moment when someone upvotes themselves.

3. professormaddog31 - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I’m actually excited for the WBC. Guys who want to be there, coaches who seem to be enthusiastic, celebrating the rich cultural heritage of countries that aren’t America and what they have contributed to this great game we love…where is the downside? It’s baseball during a time we usually don’t get it, it’s a fresh perspective…what’s not to like?

4. proudlycanadian - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM

J P Arencibia just announced that he will be on the US team. That will give him a greater opportunity to catch R A Dickey’s knuckle ball.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Fantastic. The roster gets better every single day.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Scrappy will not play second base because he had an operation on his pinky finger. Phillips will probably play second base instead.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3024)