Jan 15, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Jonah Keri takes a look at the Justin Upton trade that wasn’t with an eye on whether the Dbacks’ leverage in any Justin Upton trade has been damaged.
The more interesting part of the piece: a look at various other trades in which a big name was on the outs with a leverage-poor team and was subsequently unloaded. Some of those moves worked. Some of them didn’t.
I suppose only hindsight will tell us whether or not the Dbacks are wise to be so openly shopping Upton or if, rather, they’re gonna wind up with a modren day equivalent to Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson, Dan Norman, and Pat Zachry.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)