Jan 15, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
Jonah Keri takes a look at the Justin Upton trade that wasn’t with an eye on whether the Dbacks’ leverage in any Justin Upton trade has been damaged.
The more interesting part of the piece: a look at various other trades in which a big name was on the outs with a leverage-poor team and was subsequently unloaded. Some of those moves worked. Some of them didn’t.
I suppose only hindsight will tell us whether or not the Dbacks are wise to be so openly shopping Upton or if, rather, they’re gonna wind up with a modren day equivalent to Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson, Dan Norman, and Pat Zachry.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17