Jan 15, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
All Aaron Hill does is hit for the cycle and make contract extension news. At least if you search the HardballTalk archives for him anyway. Since it’s the offseason, it’s contract extension time. From Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
The Diamondbacks have had preliminary discussions with second baseman Aaron Hill about a contract extension, and CEO Derrick Hall said he expects more substantial talks to begin soon.
Hill hit .302/.360/.522 with 26 home runs, 85 RBI and 14 stolen bases in 156 games last season. He signed a two-year deal last offseason, but given how players increasingly don’t wish to negotiate during the season combined with how short a window it is between the end of the season and the kickoff of the full-blown free agent derby each fall, the Dbacks would save a lot of hassle by locking him up now.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 6
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 52
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)