Jan 15, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
A lot of people have asked me why Craig Biggio didn’t get into the Hall of Fame this year. I think it’s partially because while they now decry the PED era, a lot of Hall of Fame voters are warped by it and are having some trouble identifying great performances when they see it. They’re doing things like considering 3,000 hits and all the other stuff Biggio did well as ordinary rather than extraordinary.
But I also imagine a few voters are convinced he was a PED guy. Not because of evidence, but because he was teammates with Jeff Bagwell and Ken Caminiti who they suspect and know were steroids users, respectively.
We’ve heard this guilt-by-association argument before. A lot of people are skeptical of anyone who played on the Texas Rangers and Oakland Athletics of the late 80s and 1990s, for example (granted, with more reason than to be skeptical of Astros players). There’s this notion that, if you played with Jose Canseco, you’re compromised.
Because I’m bored today — and because I was inspired to do so by Twitter user Drew Neil — I look to the wonderful Oracle of Baseball to see which of the guys on the 2014 Hall of Fame ballot are most easily smeared as fellow travelers. Who played with players who played with Canseco, and what can we glean from this information?
- Greg Maddux: Linked to Canseco via either Walt Weiss, Charlie O’Brien, Julio Franco or … RICH GOSSAGE, who played on the 1992 A’s with Canseco. Assessment: Julio Franco was age-defying, Rich Gossage protests too much and Charlie O’Brien was Maddux’s personal catcher for crying out loud. Verdict: MADDUX WAS PROBABLY A JUICER.
- Tom Glavine: Linked to Canseco via John Russell, Luis Polonia, Jay Howell, Mo Vaughn, Weiss, Mike Stanton, Glenn Hubbard, Shawn Green and many others. Assessment: The lack of a Gossage connection helps Glavine. As does the presence of Mo Vaughn, who surely counseled Glavine on the folly of trying to improve one’s physical conditioning. Verdict: GLAVINE WAS PROBABLY CLEAN.
- Frank Thomas: JOSE CANSECO AND FRANK THOMAS WERE TEAMMATES ON THE 2001 CHICAGO WHITE SOX! OMG. Verdict: THOMAS WAS PROBABLY A JUICER.
- Mike Mussina: Linked to Canseco via Luis Polonia, Storm Davis, Jeff Robinson, Alan Embree, Ivan Rodriguez and many others. But., more importantly, Mussina was teammates with Roger Clemens! Assessment: Clemens is a knockout punch. Pudge is troublesome, as people like to speculate about him all the time. There’s Luis Polonia again. Hmmm … starting to wonder about him. Someone put a tail on him and find out where he goes. Verdict: MUSSINA WAS PROBABLY CLEAN.
There you have it. I think we are all better-informed Hall of Fame watchers now. Oh, sure, there may be some error to this approach. But at least we’re absolutely, 100% sure of who these candidates teammates were, and not even every Hall of Fame voter can say the same thing.
May 22, 2015, 8:46 AM EDT
Everyone does it and no one cares. Until someone does.
May 22, 2015, 7:19 AM EDT
The Giants own the Dodgers at AT&T Park. And the Madison Bumgarner owned Clayton Kershaw. At least yesterday.
May 21, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
The Cubs are reportedly one of several teams who have looked into signing Soriano.
May 21, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
Coco Crisp left Tuesday’s game with tightness in his neck and it sounds like he’s going to need to miss some time.
May 21, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
The Phillies have reportedly talked to the Angels about a deal involving Revere.
May 21, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
Brewers reliever Will Smith was ejected from Thursday’s game against the Braves in the bottom of the seventh inning after he was found to have a foreign substance on his non-throwing arm.
May 21, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
Masahiro Tanaka took his first step toward rejoining the Yankees rotation tonight by tossing three scoreless innings in a minor league rehab start with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
May 21, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Howard homered in back-to-back games at Coors Field and is now up to nine home runs on the season.
May 21, 2015, 7:12 PM EDT
Yan Gomes has been sidelined since April 11 due to an MCL sprain in his right knee.
May 21, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Back in 2013 the Dodgers signed Arruebarrena to a five-year, $25 million deal.
May 21, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Victorino is dealing with general soreness which is “centralized somewhat” in his left calf.
May 21, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
Ace vs. Ace. Advantage: Bumgarner.
May 21, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
He struck out 11 dudes in eight shutout innings.
May 21, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
Can you blame them?
May 21, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
May 21, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Morneau’s career was previously derailed by concussions when he was with the Twins.
May 21, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
Pedro Alvarez hit a ball out of PNC Park the other day. It landed in a boat. Then some guy came along and took it. Whose ball is it and was the law broken?
May 21, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Washington coached in Oakland from 1996-2006.
May 21, 2015, 11:22 AM EDT
Best part: its modern, non-retro design.
May 21, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Shoulder problems have derailed Jaime Garcia in three straight seasons.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)