ESPN releases its Sunday Night Baseball schedule

Jan 15, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

old TV

ESPN has just released its Sunday Night Baseball schedule for the first half of the season. It goes down like this:

March 31: Texas Rangers at Houston Astros
April 7: Los Angeles Angels at Texas Rangers
April 14: Baltimore Orioles at New York Yankees
April 21: St. Louis Cardinals at Philadelphia Phillies
April 28: Atlanta Braves at Detroit Tigers
May 5: Los Angeles Dodgers at San Francisco Giants
May 12: Los Angeles Angels at Chicago White Sox
May 19: Detroit Tigers at Texas Rangers
May 26: Atlanta Braves at New York Mets
July 14: St. Louis Cardinals at Chicago Cubs
July 21: New York Yankees at Boston Red Sox

With only 11 games — and with the obvious ratings maximization incentives in play — one cannot expect every team to be featured on Sunday night. But it is notable that the Nationals don’t have a first half game.

But it’s 2013. If you really want to see your team, there are a lot of ways to see your team. At least if you’re not subject to a 1965-era blackout restriction.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Are there some kind of TV rights issues or other legal obstacles that stop the Jays from being featured in one of these games or the Fox Saturday ones?

• drunkenhooliganism - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I’m guessing borders and not being able to broadcast to the home town. I believe ESPN doesn’t broadcast in Canada.

• historiophiliac - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Clearly, it’s the broadcast fence.

• tc4306 - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM

We do get ESPN Sunday night baseball. I think it comes in on TSN: one of our all sports networks.

2. robmar924 - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I’d rather watch it on MASN anyways. Bob Carpenter always does me right

3. cardsfanindelaware - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Woohoo The Redbirds have 2 selected games!!

Rather listen to Mike Shannon.

• shawndc04 - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

>>Too bad I would rather watch Al Hrabosky / Dan “the drunk” Mclaughlin / Rick Horton than the 2 doofs in Jon Miller and Joe Morgan…<<
      _____

??? Clearly you have not been watching Sunday Night Baseball.

• sportsdrenched - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Nevermind you haven’t watched Sunday Night Baseball in a few seasons, I thumbed you down for liking Mike Shannon more than Jon Miller.

4. 18thstreet - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

There’s got to be some explanation of the Rangers’ prevalence. I mean, it’s a huge media market and a very good team, but they’re never been thought of as a team with an especially large fan base. I wonder if that’s changing. Does ESPN know something?

• 18thstreet - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Thing I just learned: the Rangers have retired three numbers. Jackie Robinson (of course). Nolan Ryan (naturally). And Johnny Oates.

• youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Does this piece of information have any relevance to the topic??

5. robmar924 - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

The nationals games that is….writing with context helps

6. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Wow. Three Rangers games in the first half. Nice. :)

7. epresement - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM

no blue jays? Are you kidding me?

8. stackers1 - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Jon Miller & Joe Morgan??? Did I fall into a time warp?

9. thebadguyswon - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I’m a Mets fan. But why in the hell are they on there and not the Jays or Nats? Wow.

10. joeflaccosunibrow - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Wow! My Orioles have their first Prime Time game in over a decade!

• southpaw2k - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I recall right after the All Star Break in 2005 the Orioles hosted the White Sox in a weekend series and had their Sunday game flexed into prime time since the O’s were very much in the hunt at that time (and before Palmiero was busted for PEDs). Either way, it’s been a long, long time since the Birds were on Sunday Night Baseball, and I hope they get a home game in prime time in the second half of the season.

11. Bob - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

What’s surprising is just two Yankees games and one Red Sox game. I guess those will be saved for Monday and Wednesday nights.

12. fat4jc - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Defending champs get 1 game. Wow. Just wow.

• gerryb323 - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Who won the World Series again?

Oh that’s right, it wasn’t an East Coast team…

13. paint771 - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I’ve long ago made my peace with the Yankees/Red Sox stranglehold on this stuff (and now, apparently, the Rangers). But yeah, the Nationals and the Blue Jays thing is pretty glaring (I could also throw in for the Reds, but whatever).

What sucks about that too is I’m a Jays fan living in Philly, and it’s hard as hell to get those games down here with anything but a paid internet subscription ala MLB Gameday (which is what I have, but I tire of watching games on my laptop).

• tribefan1199 - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM

as much as i hate to tell you to buy another device on top of your subscription, but there are plenty of media devices that allow you to have a mlb.tv account streamed to your television (provided your television is not capable of operating as a monitor as well). including game systems, apple tv, smart tvs and roku. in fact, a roku is only $49.99. watching on your laptop is far from your only option.

• paint771 - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I know, and I do occasionally watch on my bedroom TV via my Playstation 3 – I should have said “television broadcasts” rather than “on a TV”, as the dead air time on mlb.tv gets to me (blank screen during commercials, dead air in place of cutaway interviews etc., no graphics). But then that makes my gripe sound all nitpickey rather than fundamental.

14. jonnybaseball - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

If you are watching Cubs vs. Cardinals in July instead of the final 8 episodes of “Breaking Bad” you are truly not doing this “life” thing correctly.

• kalinedrive - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

If you don’t have a DVR (preferably a TiVo brand) that makes it easy to watch Breaking Bad any time you choose, then life is laughing at you while you watch commercials.

15. tc4306 - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I’m a Jays fan but I’m OK with the schedule. Our team has not been a contender for 20 years & ESPN would have little incentive to include the Jays. Many Americans could not locate Toronto with a GPS and a tracking dog, and would have no interest in the place if they could. If we get to the last weekend in the schedule and the Jays are playing the Rays for the Division title and they’re still ignored..then I’ll have a beef. Until then, I’m good with it. Washington, however, should have a great team and is in a huge population area. Their omission is much harder to justify.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I am an American.
      I can locate Toronto.
      I have been there.
      I like the city.

Whatcha’ got now TC? Huh? Bring it!

• tc4306 - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I am a Canadian
        I can locate St. Louis
        I have been there
        I like the city
        The arch is really cool
        I love both the park and the way they love their baseball team
        Plus, they’re on my “top five” list for best MLB uniforms.
        That’s about all I got.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Well played tc. Well played.

16. gotampabay52 - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Rays and Jays will get air time have to show Boston games beforw they get injuries and start to fade off rather see Rays nad Jays end of the season when those two will be in first and second place

17. raysfan1 - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

The Rays, Jays, Nats, Mariners, Reds, and Brewers aren’t on the schedule terrible teams like the Cubs, Mets, and Red Sox are. Yes, I can watch baseball via other outlets, and will.

• 18thstreet - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM

This isn’t complicated, is it? Chicago, New York and Boston have bigger fan bases. The baseball will be worse; the ratings will be higher. ESPN only cares about the ratings.

• paperlions - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM

In fairness to ESPN (man, that hurt to type), they only get paid based on rating too.

• raysfan1 - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I know. I just have a weird preference for watching high quality baseball.

18. southpaw2k - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Just to clarify, the reason why the second half of the season isn’t listed is because ESPN simply hasn’t decided on which games it will air, correct? It’s not like MLB Network or TBS will be airing Sunday Night Baseball the rest of the way, will they?

• umrguy42 - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Correct. Also, I think I read elsewhere that all the June games and a July game are also TBA. ESPN waits for the second half so they can pick games for the “storylines”.

• southpaw2k - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Gracias, senor. I had a feeling ESPN would want to center its SNB games from August through September around teams in the playoff hunt, since those games would bring in better ratings. Just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.

19. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM

@drunken, hist: TSN shows Sunday Night Baseball and we generally get a Northeast Fox affiliate.

• historiophiliac - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Really?

/s

20. anxovies - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Only two Yankee games?

21. randygnyc - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

As a Yankee fan, I’m sorry to see the Yankees on any national broadcast. I hate Saturday fox games. Sunday and Monday night baseball sucks. Too much anti-Yankee bias with these broadcasters. I’d be satisfied to watch all 162 (and yes, I watch them all), on YES. I used to bite the bullet and just watch these national games, as is. But as I’ve gotten older, I just can’t abide the dbags like McGarver, Buck, Smoltz, etc. the only guy I like, as unbelievable as its been, has been Tito. These days, I just sync the radio.

22. Kevin Gillman - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I’m just curious, what ARE the ratings in the Yankees-Red Sox games, because outside of Boston and New York, I would have to say the fans are sick of seeing them, and hearing ESPN drool all over them.

23. sdb74 - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I’m not a fan of either but obviously the Yanks/Sox ratings are off the chart or ESPN wouldn’t continue to jam it down our throats.

• Kevin Gillman - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Maybe, but I think every anchor working for ESPN are either fans of Yanees-Red Sox, or are from those respective cities, it’s just something I want to know.

24. djjackson81 - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I guess the Dodgers bought there game with the Giants

25. bayarea510 - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Dodgers vs the Giants on Cinco De Mayo? What could possibly gone wrong?

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3742)