Jan 15, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
This is probably not too surprising, but Terry Francona’s upcoming book — excerpts of which were released today on WBZ’s website — have Tito taking shots at the team’s owners, saying that they don’t love baseball and put ratings and gate above all else.
Which, sure. They’re owners. That’s what owners do. But it sounds like the way they would have preferred that be carried out is rather, well, dumb:
The excerpt details a meeting with then-general manager Theo Epstein, Francona, Lucchino, [Tom] Werner and a tardy [John] Henry.
“Werner talked about slumping television ratings and whined, ‘We need to start winning in more exciting fashion,’” the excerpt read … “They told us we didn’t have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle. We need some sexy guys,” Epstein said. “Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We’d become too big. It was the farthest thing from what we set out to be.”
Al Davis was at times an awful, awful sports owner, but at least “just win baby” makes some sense. I don’t recall any successful sports franchise whose mantra was “just win with sizzle” or “just win in an exciting fashion.” If I was Theo Epstein or Francona I think I would have told those guys that I’d help supply the wins and for them to get their marketing department going on the sizzle.
Should be a fun book. Comes out on January 22.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)