Jan 15, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
This is probably not too surprising, but Terry Francona’s upcoming book — excerpts of which were released today on WBZ’s website – have Tito taking shots at the team’s owners, saying that they don’t love baseball and put ratings and gate above all else.
Which, sure. They’re owners. That’s what owners do. But it sounds like the way they would have preferred that be carried out is rather, well, dumb:
The excerpt details a meeting with then-general manager Theo Epstein, Francona, Lucchino, [Tom] Werner and a tardy [John] Henry.
“Werner talked about slumping television ratings and whined, ‘We need to start winning in more exciting fashion,’” the excerpt read … “They told us we didn’t have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle. We need some sexy guys,” Epstein said. “Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We’d become too big. It was the farthest thing from what we set out to be.”
Al Davis was at times an awful, awful sports owner, but at least “just win baby” makes some sense. I don’t recall any successful sports franchise whose mantra was “just win with sizzle” or “just win in an exciting fashion.” If I was Theo Epstein or Francona I think I would have told those guys that I’d help supply the wins and for them to get their marketing department going on the sizzle.
Should be a fun book. Comes out on January 22.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)