Jan 15, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
This is probably not too surprising, but Terry Francona’s upcoming book — excerpts of which were released today on WBZ’s website — have Tito taking shots at the team’s owners, saying that they don’t love baseball and put ratings and gate above all else.
Which, sure. They’re owners. That’s what owners do. But it sounds like the way they would have preferred that be carried out is rather, well, dumb:
The excerpt details a meeting with then-general manager Theo Epstein, Francona, Lucchino, [Tom] Werner and a tardy [John] Henry.
“Werner talked about slumping television ratings and whined, ‘We need to start winning in more exciting fashion,’” the excerpt read … “They told us we didn’t have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle. We need some sexy guys,” Epstein said. “Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We’d become too big. It was the farthest thing from what we set out to be.”
Al Davis was at times an awful, awful sports owner, but at least “just win baby” makes some sense. I don’t recall any successful sports franchise whose mantra was “just win with sizzle” or “just win in an exciting fashion.” If I was Theo Epstein or Francona I think I would have told those guys that I’d help supply the wins and for them to get their marketing department going on the sizzle.
Should be a fun book. Comes out on January 22.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)