Jan 15, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM, the right-handed reliever will make just a $7 million salary in 2013 and 2014, and the remaining $14 million will be deferred until after the 2018 season. So agent Scott Boras can boast about landing his client a contract worth $14 million per year when in actuality it’s going to shake out much differently.
It’s still a nice score for Boras and Soriano considering the challenges presented by the new draft pick compensation system. The Nationals will not have a first-round pick in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft because of the signing.
The Yankees, meanwhile, now possess picks 27, 31 and 32.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)