Jan 15, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM, the right-handed reliever will make just a $7 million salary in 2013 and 2014, and the remaining $14 million will be deferred until after the 2018 season. So agent Scott Boras can boast about landing his client a contract worth $14 million per year when in actuality it’s going to shake out much differently.
It’s still a nice score for Boras and Soriano considering the challenges presented by the new draft pick compensation system. The Nationals will not have a first-round pick in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft because of the signing.
The Yankees, meanwhile, now possess picks 27, 31 and 32.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)