Jan 15, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM, the right-handed reliever will make just a $7 million salary in 2013 and 2014, and the remaining $14 million will be deferred until after the 2018 season. So agent Scott Boras can boast about landing his client a contract worth $14 million per year when in actuality it’s going to shake out much differently.
It’s still a nice score for Boras and Soriano considering the challenges presented by the new draft pick compensation system. The Nationals will not have a first-round pick in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft because of the signing.
The Yankees, meanwhile, now possess picks 27, 31 and 32.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 0
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 1
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 13
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 37
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)