Jan 15, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM, the right-handed reliever will make just a $7 million salary in 2013 and 2014, and the remaining $14 million will be deferred until after the 2018 season. So agent Scott Boras can boast about landing his client a contract worth $14 million per year when in actuality it’s going to shake out much differently.
It’s still a nice score for Boras and Soriano considering the challenges presented by the new draft pick compensation system. The Nationals will not have a first-round pick in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft because of the signing.
The Yankees, meanwhile, now possess picks 27, 31 and 32.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8