John Danks throwing off mound, shoulder “feels great”

Jan 15, 2013, 3:18 PM EST

John Danks AP

John Danks started throwing off a mound two weeks ago as he attempts to come back from August shoulder surgery and the White Sox left-hander told Scott Merkin of MLB.com that his arm “feels great.”

“Being on the mound for a little bit of time, I feel better about things than I did before,” Danks said. “There’s still a ways to go. I haven’t spun anything or seen a hitter. But my shoulder feels great off the mound. We are getting there. I’m throwing pretty hard off the mound, not just wobbling it. So I can’t complain.”

According to Merkin he’s been throwing 40 pitches off a mound three days per week, with mostly fastballs and some changeups. Barring any setbacks it’s possible Danks could be fully healthy for spring training, although his missing the beginning of the season wouldn’t be a surprise.

1. jlovenotjlo - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM

A healthy Danks in 2012 has the White Sox in the playoffs. He needs to come back healthy this season.

• whitesoxman77 - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I disagree. The White Sox offense really overachieved last year, and it really hasn’t improved all that much, we’ll need repeat performances from Rios, Dunn, and someone to take AJ’s place (who had a career year). A strong rotation is a step in the right direction, but I can’t say Danks is the difference.

• jlovenotjlo - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I think you misunderstood me. Last season’s White Sox, the one with the overachieving offense that fell apart at the end of the season, would have likely been able to hold Detroit off and win the AL Central with a 200 inning performance from John Danks. That rotation had a glaring hole much of the season.

I do not claim that a healthy Danks will put the 2013 White Sox in the playoffs. Repeat performances will be necessary, as you said, but I do think a full time Tyler Flowers can come pretty close to AJ’s breakout year. An extra year of managerial experience should help Ventura not manage the White Sox out of ballgames, too.

2. whitesoxman77 - Jan 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Ah thanks you for clarifying, your first comment was a little vague. I believe Tyler can match AJ’s power numbers, just not too sure about his patience at the plate and ability to take walks.

• jlovenotjlo - Jan 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Word. Go Sox!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3214)
  2. J. Kang (3075)
  3. C. McGehee (2798)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2767)
  5. J. Upton (2753)