Jan 15, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
They haven’t done much in free agency, but the Mariners have spent $140,000 to sign 17-year-old outfielder Luis Liberato out of the Dominican Republic.
Ben Badler of Baseball America describes the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Liberato as having “a mature approach to hitting from the left side with gap power and advanced baseball instincts for his age.” For now he’s a center fielder, but Badler writes that he could wind up in a corner spot eventually.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59