Jan 15, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
They haven’t done much in free agency, but the Mariners have spent $140,000 to sign 17-year-old outfielder Luis Liberato out of the Dominican Republic.
Ben Badler of Baseball America describes the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Liberato as having “a mature approach to hitting from the left side with gap power and advanced baseball instincts for his age.” For now he’s a center fielder, but Badler writes that he could wind up in a corner spot eventually.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120