Jan 15, 2013, 6:52 AM EDT
Mark Grace lost his job as the Diamondbacks’ TV analyst last season following his arrest for drunken driving. His second arrest, it must be noted. Yesterday he offered his first public comments on his arrest and firing. He’s waxing contrite and responsible:
“I have nobody to blame but myself … I did this. The Diamondbacks didn’t do anything. I think it’s important to own this. I own this.”
He goes on trial for four felony counts of aggravated DUI, which will likely land him in prison since this is his second DUI in less than two years and folks who do that are not probation-eligible.
Of note, however, is the fact that, despite the fact the Diamondbacks fired him from the booth, they did allow him to participate in their annual fantasy camp, which is where these comments were made. Also:
“Mark has always been an important part of our family, so we would naturally be here to support him,” Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall said. “While he still has some legal issues to overcome, we look forward to his future involvement in the organization.”
Grace is extremely lucky to have this kind of support when he’s done nothing to truly deserve it. But deserve or not, the Diamondbacks’ willingness to keep Grace in the fold in however diminished a capacity may make it more likely that he’ll make better choices in the future than he would have had everyone turned their back on him.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
Jeter has caught fire with only days remaining in his career.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
Danny Duffy tossed six scoreless innings in his return from left rotator cuff inflammation.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Sergio Romo and Shawon Dunston “exchanged heated words with raised voices” before Bruce Bochy intervened.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Shoemaker came out of nowhere to go 16-4 with a 3.07 ERA and 124/24 K/BB ratio in 136 innings as a 27-year-old rookie, including a 9-1 record and 1.49 ERA in 67 innings since late July.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Tomas, 23, could reportedly command a $100 million contract.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Former major league pitcher and current player agent Dave Stewart is viewed as the overwhelming favorite for the job.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Rough day for the Wren family.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
In his first full season as a starter Ross finishes with a 2.81 ERA and 195 strikeouts in 196 innings.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The Royals made it interesting, but the Indians hung on for a 4-3 victory.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
In other words: He won’t be an option again this season even if the Mariners make a deep playoff run.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Pearce has been one of baseball’s biggest surprises this season, batting .297 with 20 home runs and .932 OPS over 98 games.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
He’s owed $23 million in 2015, $25 million in 2016, and $25 million or a $5 million buyout for 2017.
Sep 22, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
“He’s a good baseball guy, and we’re in this thing together.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Good news for the Yankees and their once and future ace
Sep 22, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
When injuries wrecked the Mariners’ rotation depth Chris Young stepped in and went 12-6 with a 3.07 ERA through his first 24 starts.
Sep 22, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Sep 22, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
Washington cut Perez loose after claiming light-hitting shortstop Pedro Florimon off waivers from Minnesota.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
The Cubs know they can’t just get by on change-of-scenery guys and sign-and-flip deals.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The Mets are staying the course. And it is probably a good idea.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)