Jan 15, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
Kyle McClellan, who was released by the Cardinals in November, has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Rangers.
McClellan gets an invitation to spring training as he tries to come back from July shoulder surgery. If healthy he could be a nice low-cost pickup for Texas considering his 3.69 ERA in 378 career innings.
He’s expected to be ready for spring training and will likely compete for a middle relief gig, although McClellan does have a little starting experience too.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)