Jan 15, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
Not that they were exorbitant demands. Heyman says that Scott Hariston asked the Mets for two years and $8 million.
That’s a considerable raise for Hairston who has never made more than $2.45 million in a year, and only made $1.1 million a year the past two seasons with the Mets. He’s never had a multi-year deal.
Hairston hit .263/.299/.504 with 20 homers and 57 RBI in 377 at-bats with the Mets last year. If he were to return to the Mets, he’d likely be an everyday outfielder. Not sure that that isn’t worth $4 million.
But then again, I’m not sure that it’s wise to make Scott Hairston an everyday outfielder. Though if anyone should, it’s the Mets.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The Mets could be without Daniel Murphy for most or all of the rest of the season, as the second baseman deals with a strained right calf.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Joey Votto hasn’t been progressing as well from his quad injury as the Reds would have liked.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
He’s in the lineup tonight, batting sixth against the Cubs.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Whether this will turn into a Michael Young situation or a Derek Jeter situation is an open question.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Sad news for a once-great reliever.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
No doctor appointments are scheduled as a result, but soreness is not great news.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
If you’re going to make the same arguments for him you did the past two years, you may want to re-think things.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
There can be only THREE!! True outcomes, that is.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Which is the right thing to do.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Never mind that the dude has only been legally allowed inside a bar for about two years.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
The plot thickens. And becomes creamier. And is spread nicely between some two thin, chocolate cakes.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
It’s a bit early for this, of course.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Could one or both of them be gone before the 2015 season begins?
Aug 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Afterwards, the pitching machine talked about wanting to work on his offspeed stuff because all big league hitters can turn on a fastball.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
An addendum to yesterday’s post.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
The AL it’s clear cut because there is a monster candidate. In the NL it’s because one guys is the least bad of many bad options.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Commandment Number One of being a professional athlete: don’t let anyone know you’re not a fan of your team’s city.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Which, in all likelihood, will be his last start for the Cardinals this year.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:47 AM EDT
A big housing unit for the Big Unit.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
And an ice cream sandwich — used for taunting purposes — was involved.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 14
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 17
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 58
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)