World Baseball Classic will have lower pitch limits this year

Jan 15, 2013, 11:19 AM EST

metal_counter

Pitch limits have always been part of the World Baseball Classic, but Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the WBC is decreasing the number of pitches allowed compared to the last tournament.

According to Morosi the new pitch limits are 65 in the first round, 80 in the second round, and 95 in the semi-finals and finals. During the last tournament those limits were 70, 85, and 100, respectively, so basically everyone is now allowed to throw five fewer pitches per outing.

Obviously a drop of five pitches isn’t a big deal and most pitchers participating in the WBC won’t be approaching those limits anyway, but no doubt the minor decrease was at MLB teams’ request.

WBC rosters for all countries will be officially announced Thursday.

1. danaking - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Does anyone other than Bud Selig care about this? I don’t mean to be snotty. I’m truly curious.

• butchhuskey - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I personally think the WBC is incredibly boring and unnecessary

• Alex K - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I do. I love the WBC. It’s fun. I think over time it could be a really prestigious tournament. Everything has to start somewhere…

• psuravens19 - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I actually like the idea of it and can’t wait to watch… seems to me the US is the only one that doesn’t take any pride, but I’m sure that would change, if they actually won it.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I care. The players who play actually want to be there, and I think that will lead to quality games. And baseball in the middle of the offseason – there is no downside from where I stand. Obviously it’s a bit of a ploy in some ways, but even hyped up things can be fun.

Why can’t this just be about enjoying baseball and having fun?

2. lyon810 - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I’ll watch because it’s baseball and really the first set of games of the year.

That being said, how can you expect fans to take it seriously when the players don’t?

• blacksables - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM

How can you say the players don’t take it seriously?

The one’s who don’t play do so mainly because of injury or their team doesn’t want them to.

There is never any problem filling rosters, so I don’t see you have a valid point.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

How can you say the players don’t take it seriously?

I’ve watched the Venezuelan team and followed news of their antics at each WBC, I can categorically say the majority of those team members DON’T take it seriously. They treat it like camp and an excuse to meet old friends, get drunk and wasted.

3. bostonfreeparty - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I’ll watch because I love baseball, but I feel that this is a meaningless tournament that Bud Selig uses as a cop-out alternative to sending MLB players to the Olympics every four years (and thus pausing the season for 2 weeks).

I know baseball was removed from the Olympics, but who’s to say that it won’t make a comeback in future Olympiads?

4. flosox - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM

As much as I like the idea of a National Baseball Team and the tournaments in the WBC and Olympics, common sense (and some financial background) puts things in monetary perspective.

As an owner, why would I want my $100MM+ asset performing a task that brings me zero-to-little return? The risk/reward ratio is astronomical. That investment (contract) was given due to a calculated return based on historical and pro-forma performance; which in turn leads to ticket sales, parking, merch, f&b, etc.

Not to be a negative nelly, but fact is the WBC will never catch on because the owners and players have way more to lose than they have to gain. Until that ratio decreases, WBC and Olympic Baseball will be nothing more than exhibition.

5. hojo20 - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Oh boy, pitch counts…..just like Little League. Does everyone get a free soda after the WBC games too?

• flosox - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Dang, you just brought me back 20 years! Good times

• mazblast - Jan 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

And a genuine Certificate of Participation!

6. sdemp - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

As someone who has actually attended the WBC in the past and a fan of baseball, I think this is a great tournament.

I would recommend any baseball fan to attend this tournament and until you do, please don’t comment because your ignorance shows.

I suppose the World Cup is stupid. . . the olympics, or any global competition.

• flosox - Jan 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I think its fun to watch as well…Still doesn’t change the economic situation. Sadly, everything we do is monetized and will, for the most part, dictate what we perceive as relevant. How else do you explain Twitter, Parison Hilton, Honey Boo Boo, etc. They only became releveant because they could be monetized.

And don’t get me started on Soccer…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester