Jan 16, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
The move clears a spot on Oakland’s MLB roster for John Jaso, who was acquired from the Mariners this evening as part of a three-team, five-player trade.
Kottaras, 29, posted a .211/.351/.415 batting line with nine home runs and 31 RBI across 209 plate appearances last season between the Brewers and A’s. He should draw plenty of interest on waivers.
Kottaras signed a one-year, $1 million contract with Oakland earlier this month, avoiding arbitration. That deal will obviously roll over to whatever team he winds up with.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)