Jan 16, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
The move clears a spot on Oakland’s MLB roster for John Jaso, who was acquired from the Mariners this evening as part of a three-team, five-player trade.
Kottaras, 29, posted a .211/.351/.415 batting line with nine home runs and 31 RBI across 209 plate appearances last season between the Brewers and A’s. He should draw plenty of interest on waivers.
Kottaras signed a one-year, $1 million contract with Oakland earlier this month, avoiding arbitration. That deal will obviously roll over to whatever team he winds up with.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte