Jan 16, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
The move clears a spot on Oakland’s MLB roster for John Jaso, who was acquired from the Mariners this evening as part of a three-team, five-player trade.
Kottaras, 29, posted a .211/.351/.415 batting line with nine home runs and 31 RBI across 209 plate appearances last season between the Brewers and A’s. He should draw plenty of interest on waivers.
Kottaras signed a one-year, $1 million contract with Oakland earlier this month, avoiding arbitration. That deal will obviously roll over to whatever team he winds up with.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)