Blue Jays minor leaguer suspended

Jan 16, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT

Blue Jays logo

It’s 5pm and the rest of the world is going nutso over that mind-blowingly insane Manti Te’o story, so it’s a good time to dump a drug suspension!

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Toronto Blue Jays Minor League right-handed pitcher Alan Farina has received a 50-game suspension without pay after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse.

The suspension of Farina, who is currently on the roster of Single-A Dunedin Blue Jays of the Florida State League, will be effective at the start of this season.

Look next week for a story from Deadspin revealing that Farina doesn’t actually exist.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM

The guy exists; however, his career was going nowhere before this. Expect the Jays to eventually dump him.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

He is 26 and still in single A. The third round draft pick (2007) was very unlikely to make it to the majors.

• historiophiliac - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I’m sorry, did you say 26 and single? lol

• proudlycanadian - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I have no idea if he is single. If you are interested in him, good luck. I doubt that he will have much of a career in baseball. He is also a pot head.

• historiophiliac - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I was just being funny, PC. No good arguments today…

• proudlycanadian - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Keep smiling! Hope you do not get much snow tomorrow.

• historiophiliac - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

There’s no snow where I live. We’re supposed to be around 60* by the end of the week again. I really love snow too. :( I don’t get much of a winter.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM

It all melted in the Toronto area due to a warm spell, but we should get some tomorrow and it will be cold again next week.

• historiophiliac - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I’m so jealous!

2. Chris K - Jan 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I just left the 12 degree winter of Toronto and was thrust into the Snowpocalypse of Halifax today.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3548)