Denard Span probably needs to take a day off the Internet

Jan 16, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

Denard Span

Whenever someone rails about the dangers and evils of professional athletes using Twitter, I simply say this: Twitter is like a microphone that is always on. An athlete saying something on Twitter is the functional equivalent of an athlete talking to a gaggle of reporters in front of his locker.  As long as he doesn’t say anything into that open mic — and as long as he knows that Twitter is, in fact, an open mic, he’s fine.

Call me crazy, but I don’t gather that Denard Span would ever be talking about sick, looney-tunes Sandy Hook killing conspiracy theory videos into an open mic in front of his locker. So the fact that he tweeted something like this is just as much evidence of poor Twitter training as it is evidence that some athletes have a hard time understanding what happens in the world:

Back away from the Twitter, Denard. Go down to spring training and leave this sort of thing to other people. You’ll be much happier that you did.

1. frankenderek - Jan 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM

He’s a person too you know. Why does he have to be silent just because he’s a professional athlete. Even though the videos he’s watching are incredibly stupid, he’s still entitled to his opinion and to voice it.

• vanquish0916 - Jan 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I don’t think Craig is arguing that he can or can’t. He’s saying that he shouldn’t… for his own good!

• skids003 - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I agree with you and Craig. The way the PC Police are these days, he should tread quite lightly with what he says. He is entitled to his opinion, just not if it’s not the one the PC Police have. That even goes for his comments.

• number42is1 - Jan 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

also he represents an organization so what he says effects them as well.

• anxovies - Jan 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Not to mention that anybody who believes that crap is bone stupid.

2. Jeremy T - Jan 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM

The nice thing about Twitter is that it lets us see what some of these players are really like. The terrible thing about Twitter is that it lets us see what some of these players are really like.

3. cjh88 - Jan 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM

The people going on about how the video “makes you think” are probably at lot of the same people who always say it is “too soon” to talk about gun violence right after a mass shooting happens because it is insensitive to the victims to “politicize it”.

Talking about preventing gun violence: insensitive.

Making a video saying it was all faked less than a month after it happened: perfectly fine.

I wonder how long before the Nat’s PR people tell him to delete the tweet.

4. vansloot - Jan 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Just to be clear, he was probably watching this:

• vansloot - Jan 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Not sure why I would get down votes for adding context to a story, but.. ok. You do realize that I wasn’t actually agreeing with Denard, right?

• blacksables - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Disagreeing to your ability to know what he was watching without actually knowing what he was watching.

But if you do have the ability to read minds, there’s this woman at work who keeps flirting with me.

Does she want me?

5. scoser - Jan 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM

One can always hope he just hit the 140 character limit and meant to finish his sentence with “why people are drawn to believe in stupid conspiracy theories.”

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking. And I am sure the Nats PR team is hoping that is what he meant!

6. amaninwhite - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM

“the sandy hooks thing”?

C’mon Span! You took the time to spell YouTube correctly.

7. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Next tweet was a non-denial denial

Sounds as thoguh he is walking it back

• historiophiliac - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM

“Think and wonder” or “wonder and think”? That is all.

8. cur68 - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

When did “wondering and thinking” get to be a big deal? I’m going to say lets just give him a chance to explain. Or, for preference, just let him shut up about it now. These guys are ballplayers not mensa members and the amount of trouble this stuff can get them in is likely WAY out of proportion to their ability to deal with it.

• skids003 - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I agree cur. He implies absolutely nothing in his comment. People need to get a life and quit trying to make mountains out of mole hills. You can’t say anything these days without the PC Police running amuck.

9. kirkvanhouten - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Speaking of which, I was just reading some information about how the moon is fake. Not the moon *landing* mind you…that’s obviously fake. But the very existence of the moon itself. Could just be government propaganda.

I mean, I’m just saying it makes you think and wonder, that’s all. Also, that literally anything that exists or has happened is subject to a conspiracy theory.

• skids003 - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM

That does make me wonder. I always heard it was made of green cheese.

• stabonerichard - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM

10. deebs1976 - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM

More deep thoughts from Denard: “I was talking to this guy Mahmoud and he was saying that the Holocaust never actually happened. Really makes you think.”

• blacksables - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Can you provide evidence that Span actually said that? Or is it just your pathetic attempt to be relevant?

• bigmeechy74 - Jan 17, 2013 at 3:37 AM

I’ve read a lot of dumb comments today. But congrats, you’ve made the 2 worst comments in one article. Good job…. not really

11. tfbuckfutter - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM

To be fair, was his very next tweet “just how dumb a lot of people are”?

If not, he and Rashard Mendenhall should think about starting a bowling team.

Maybe invite Carl Everett.

12. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Darren? Hi, Jack Parker, Nats PR. Listen, you have a minute? Good….do you happen to have Twitter open? You do? Great! Listen – huge favor I am going to, hoping you can oblige. Type this out verbatim

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM

EDIT FUNCTION!! Denard

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:16 PM

First….I really hope you did the research and Jack Parker is actually the Nats PR guy because that makes screwing up Denard’s name even funnier….although I could see Jack Parker getting the guy’s name wrong…..

Anyway, my point is….why did Jack Parker make a type and say “I’m ok twitter to have a good time”?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Nah, Jack Parker just sounded like a name that would fit – no clue who the real guy is. And yea…..I did think of that too in the confines of my lil’ story….that the end didn’t sound right. But maybe Denard (checking….yea, got it right) begged Jack to let him keep it real…..

13. ebrownwareagle - Jan 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Soooo Exactly what did he say that was out of line?! Somebody anybody please explain…

• blacksables - Jan 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

They can’t. It’s easier to ridicule with no evidence than try to understand.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

If we have to explain, you would disgree. And you are free to disagree.

But Cliff Notes…..20 kids are dead….people are out there claiming it was a gov’t conspiracy….Denard refernced “controversial” videos and said it “makes you think”….

ahhh, you get it, you just don’t agree. and that is your perogitive

• blacksables - Jan 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM

No, I disagree with your ability to read his mind.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Oh. And when did I say I read his mind? :)

• blacksables - Jan 18, 2013 at 7:15 AM

That’s your opinion of what he watched. Span never said. But you must have the ability to read his mind and know what he was watching and what he meant, since he never specifically said it.

I disagree with your ability to do that.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM

“That’s your opinion of what he watched. Span never said that”

Dude, get a hold of yourself. I am quoting his tweet – I read his post, not his mind. He said he watched Controversial stuff on Youtube about sandy hooks (sic), and that it makes one wonder and think.

14. chill1184 - Jan 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM

This is the MLB equivalent to Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall questioning the official government story over Bin Laden’s killing. I really dont see a foul here

15. rgledz - Jan 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I think Denard’s bad judgement can easily be blamed on the HOF voters……right Craig…..it’s their fault.

16. mazblast - Jan 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to tweet and confirm it.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4614)