Jan 16, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Last offseason Cruz signed with the Pirates on a minor-league contract and was released in August despite posting a 2.78 ERA in 36 innings at age 33. His strikeout-to-walk ratio was much less impressive at 33-to-19, but he’s had an ERA below 4.00 in five of the past six seasons and could be a useful middle reliever in Philadelphia.
Cruz’s deal includes an invitation to spring training. Last year he refused to pitch in the minors, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens if he doesn’t win an Opening Day gig.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)