Jan 16, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Last offseason Cruz signed with the Pirates on a minor-league contract and was released in August despite posting a 2.78 ERA in 36 innings at age 33. His strikeout-to-walk ratio was much less impressive at 33-to-19, but he’s had an ERA below 4.00 in five of the past six seasons and could be a useful middle reliever in Philadelphia.
Cruz’s deal includes an invitation to spring training. Last year he refused to pitch in the minors, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens if he doesn’t win an Opening Day gig.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 162
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (163)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)