Jan 16, 2013, 7:08 PM EST
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post has the story:
The Nationals traded slugger Michael Morse to the Seattle Mariners in a three-way trade that netted them right-hander A.J. Cole, the pitching prospect who last winter served as the centerpiece of the trade that brought Gio Gonzalez from the Oakland A’s to the Nationals. The Mariners sent catcher John Jaso to the Oakland to complete the deal.
Morse boasts a .297/.343/.515 batting line since the start of the 2011 season. He also has 49 home runs and 157 RBI in that span. But the 30-year-old isn’t a good defensive player and is currently slated to become a free agent in November. He’ll presumably serve as the Mariners’ starting left fielder and part-time designated hitter.
Jaso, 29, hit .276/.394/.456 with 10 home runs and 50 RBI in 108 games last year for Seattle.
Cole, 21, had a 4.04 ERA and 1.25 WHIP in 89 innings last season between two levels of Single-A.
UPDATE, 7:14 PM: CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler says the Nats will will also get two additional prospects.
UPDATE, 7:48 PM: Blake Treinen is one of those prospects, according to the Nationals. The other will be a player to be named later. Treinen, a righty, had a 4.37 ERA in 103 innings last year at High-A Stockton.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 61
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)