Jan 16, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post has the story:
The Nationals traded slugger Michael Morse to the Seattle Mariners in a three-way trade that netted them right-hander A.J. Cole, the pitching prospect who last winter served as the centerpiece of the trade that brought Gio Gonzalez from the Oakland A’s to the Nationals. The Mariners sent catcher John Jaso to the Oakland to complete the deal.
Morse boasts a .297/.343/.515 batting line since the start of the 2011 season. He also has 49 home runs and 157 RBI in that span. But the 30-year-old isn’t a good defensive player and is currently slated to become a free agent in November. He’ll presumably serve as the Mariners’ starting left fielder and part-time designated hitter.
Jaso, 29, hit .276/.394/.456 with 10 home runs and 50 RBI in 108 games last year for Seattle.
Cole, 21, had a 4.04 ERA and 1.25 WHIP in 89 innings last season between two levels of Single-A.
UPDATE, 7:14 PM: CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler says the Nats will will also get two additional prospects.
UPDATE, 7:48 PM: Blake Treinen is one of those prospects, according to the Nationals. The other will be a player to be named later. Treinen, a righty, had a 4.37 ERA in 103 innings last year at High-A Stockton.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 115
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (115)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (97)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along