Jan 16, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
Still basking in the afterglow from their surprising 2012 run, the Orioles have locked manager Buck Showalter and executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette through 2018.
While Showalter’s extension has been rumored for weeks, the length is surprising. The new deal adds five years to a contract that had been set to expire after 2013. Showalter is 196-185 since taking over as Baltimore’s manager on Aug. 2, 2010.
Duquette was the Orioles’ surprising GM hire last winter after several candidates turned down the chance to interview or pulled out of the process afterwards. Back in the league after 10 years away, he picked up such players as Wei-Yin Chen and Jason Hammel to aid the Orioles’ resurgence.
The new commitments figures to ensure that both Showalter and Duquette keep their jobs through any 2013 turmoil, should it occur. It doesn’t seem at all likely that both members of the pair will still be on the job five years from now, but the Orioles are definitely trying to emphasize continuity. And it has to be an especially nice reward for Duquette, who wasn’t chased after by anyone at the end of his Red Sox tenure. He was almost surely one of the game’s lowest-paid GMs after signing on with the Orioles last year, but the new deal will probably move him closer to the middle of the pack.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)