Jan 16, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Still basking in the afterglow from their surprising 2012 run, the Orioles have locked manager Buck Showalter and executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette through 2018.
While Showalter’s extension has been rumored for weeks, the length is surprising. The new deal adds five years to a contract that had been set to expire after 2013. Showalter is 196-185 since taking over as Baltimore’s manager on Aug. 2, 2010.
Duquette was the Orioles’ surprising GM hire last winter after several candidates turned down the chance to interview or pulled out of the process afterwards. Back in the league after 10 years away, he picked up such players as Wei-Yin Chen and Jason Hammel to aid the Orioles’ resurgence.
The new commitments figures to ensure that both Showalter and Duquette keep their jobs through any 2013 turmoil, should it occur. It doesn’t seem at all likely that both members of the pair will still be on the job five years from now, but the Orioles are definitely trying to emphasize continuity. And it has to be an especially nice reward for Duquette, who wasn’t chased after by anyone at the end of his Red Sox tenure. He was almost surely one of the game’s lowest-paid GMs after signing on with the Orioles last year, but the new deal will probably move him closer to the middle of the pack.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)