Jan 16, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Last month Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. described himself as “cautiously optimistic” that Chase Utley would be healthy enough to play an everyday role in 2013, but Amaro has basically ditched the “cautiously” part now.
Amaro told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that Utley “is doing very, very well” while participating in baseball activities five days per week.
Utley is 34 years old and is always going to have issues playing through chronic knee problems, but he looked good down the stretch last season while hitting .264 with a .798 OPS in August and September.
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 30
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 52
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (96)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)