Jan 16, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Despite a lot of people assuming that he’s Asian based on the name, Bruce Chen is second generation Panamanian. But he wants to pitch for China in the WBC. Which is leading to some logistical issues, reports Pete Grathoff of the KC Star:
Any questions about a player’s eligibility for a country must be cleared by the World Baseball Classic, Inc. Chen was asked to present his birth certificate, along with his parents’ and his grandparents’.
“It was very difficult,” Chen said. “I’m talking about 60, 70 years ago, and we cannot find the Chinese one. That’s in China, 70 years ago, I don’t even know how they recorded that. When they moved to Panama, they were not thinking, ‘Let me bring my birth certificate from China.’
Chen pitched for Panama for the past two WBCs.
I’m not the biggest WBC fan, but I kind of like this aspect of it. If I was a baseball player I’d get to pick (presumably) between team USA, team Ireland, team England, team Romania — they have that, right? — and depending on whether mere names as opposed to actual blood was enough, team Italy (it’s complicated).
Probably have to go with team Romania. That would probably be the most fun team.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 26
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 13
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 65
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)