Jan 16, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Back in November while previewing the Twins’ various free agent pitching options I highlighted Joe Saunders as someone they were likely to be interested in and perhaps overpay.
Since then they’ve been linked to Saunders occasionally, but that has mostly died down recently until today: Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Twins are “pursuing” Saunders.
Presumably that means he’s dropped his demands to a one- or two-year deal, because while Minnesota can certainly use any rotation help it can get after signing only Kevin Correia, Mike Pelfrey, and Rich Harden as free agents they’d be making a mistake to view Saunders as more than a fourth or fifth starter.
He’d be another low-velocity, low-strikeout, low-upside starter for a Twins team that has repeatedly stressed getting away from that type of pitcher lately, but on a one-year deal Saunders would certainly make sense.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)