Jan 16, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Back in November while previewing the Twins’ various free agent pitching options I highlighted Joe Saunders as someone they were likely to be interested in and perhaps overpay.
Since then they’ve been linked to Saunders occasionally, but that has mostly died down recently until today: Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Twins are “pursuing” Saunders.
Presumably that means he’s dropped his demands to a one- or two-year deal, because while Minnesota can certainly use any rotation help it can get after signing only Kevin Correia, Mike Pelfrey, and Rich Harden as free agents they’d be making a mistake to view Saunders as more than a fourth or fifth starter.
He’d be another low-velocity, low-strikeout, low-upside starter for a Twins team that has repeatedly stressed getting away from that type of pitcher lately, but on a one-year deal Saunders would certainly make sense.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)