Jan 16, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Back in November while previewing the Twins’ various free agent pitching options I highlighted Joe Saunders as someone they were likely to be interested in and perhaps overpay.
Since then they’ve been linked to Saunders occasionally, but that has mostly died down recently until today: Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Twins are “pursuing” Saunders.
Presumably that means he’s dropped his demands to a one- or two-year deal, because while Minnesota can certainly use any rotation help it can get after signing only Kevin Correia, Mike Pelfrey, and Rich Harden as free agents they’d be making a mistake to view Saunders as more than a fourth or fifth starter.
He’d be another low-velocity, low-strikeout, low-upside starter for a Twins team that has repeatedly stressed getting away from that type of pitcher lately, but on a one-year deal Saunders would certainly make sense.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)