Jan 16, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Hughes is in his third year of arbitration eligiblily. He made $2.7 million in 2011 and $3.2 million in 2012. If the Yankees don’t lock him at some point this season, he will hit free agency in the fall.
Hughes posted a decent 4.23 ERA and 1.27 WHIP across 32 starts last summer, fanning 165 batters and issuing only 46 walks. The 26-year-old owns a 4.39 career ERA and a 1.29 career WHIP through his first six major league seasons.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)