Albert Pujols will not play in World Baseball Classic

Jan 17, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT

Albert Pujols Getty Getty Images

We heard over the weekend that Albert Pujols was hoping to represent his native Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Classic, but he wasn’t on the provisional roster released by the team earlier today. And he won’t be a last-minute addition, either.

According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Pujols has been ruled out for the tournament because of the minor procedure he had on his right knee in October. The good news is that the knee feels fine and he’s expected to be ready for the season.

Pujols, who turned 33 yesterday, batted .285/.343/.516 in his first season with the Angels while his 30 homers and .859 OPS represented career-lows. He still has nine years and $238 million left on his contract.

1. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 17, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Jesus the deal is already looking shaky…I really hoped he would play like a machine till his late 30s but being a Yankee fan and seeing A-rod fall apart its just such a bad deal I hope we don’t do the same to Cano…A-rod had I think 3 good years before falling apart last two years…I just don’t see how Albert can really play like he did 5 years ago for the next 3… its just doesn’t look good

• gibbyfan - Jan 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Barring injury I think Albert should have 3 or 4 decent years left but after that a fast fade is probably very likely –just dont know why Angels went 10 years on someone that old–doesnt make sense.

• paperlions - Jan 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM

They are paying him to perform like an MVP every year for 10 years. At the time, I thought they would be doing well to get 2 or 3 performances like that….now, it looks like they’ll be lucky to get 1 such performance (especially the way his walk rate and OBP have been in free fall the last 3 years). No one escapes time. Though…I do expect him to sprinkle in a couple of highly productive seasons in during the last 1/2 of the deal if he has good health all season.

• gibbyfan - Jan 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I guess owners with tons of money just don’t really care which in my opinion is not good for the game…But hopefully if they start looking like fools maybe that will change.

2. halohonk - Jan 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

The last thing Angels needed was Albert tweeking his knee and getting off to another slow start. I cant believe teams let there stars play in this glorified exhibition. I can see if it was the Olympics maybe. That big exhale you heard was from Arte, Mike and Dipoto. Man im sure the Yankees with Cano, Tex and Tigers with Miggy aren’t to happy.

3. losanginsight - Jan 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Alberta is really 35

4. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 18, 2013 at 4:17 AM

you know you say his age like a joke but knowing the history of pple who lied, you really don’t know…they should have a way of checking his real age but idk

• paperlions - Jan 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Yeah, because non-prospetcs that move to the US with their family when they are 16 regularly lie about their ages because their is nothing to lose if immigration discovers the discrepancy….and when going through the process of becoming a US citizen, one hardly has to submit any paperwork at all.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

What Paper said! Except he came to the US when he was 15…not 16.

5. foreverchipper10 - Jan 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM

For as great a player as he has been throughout his career I want to give him the benefit of the doubt for last year. He switched to a new league which meant he had to face pitchers he wasn’t as familiar with every day as well as everything else that goes in to switching teams. If he puts up similar numbers in 2013 that he had in his first year with the Angels, well, then I will start to worry.

6. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

look I’m not saying he isn’t the right age…but there has been a lot of players who have lied about there age simply to get looked at by scouts…because that way if drafted can make great money and help there poor family’s out that much faster…its happend to a lot of players who aren’t high draft picks who slip through the system so its not just some simple oh yea well america checked so it has to be right nonsense. because really a lot of these players do fall through the cracks when they can change a few numbers on a birth certificate…

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

He. Has. Been. In. The. US. Since. He. Was. 15. Years. Old.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM

He. Lived. With. His. Grandmother. And. Graduated. From. High. School. In. The. US.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM

George. Brett. Saw. Him. Taking. Batting. Practice. As. A. Young. High. School. Player. In. Kansas. City.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM

This. Is. Well. Documented. Can. We. Let. It. Go?

7. missingdiz - Jan 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I’m a Cards fan, but it’s hard to let go and I still root for Albert. Back when he was outrageously good some people suggested he was using PEDs. Now that he’s slipped some the past two seasons, some people suggest he lied about his age and is really too old. I don’t know what the “Alberta” comment suggests except that there’s a little wanker somewhere glued to a screen who ought to get outside for some exercise occasionally.

I don’t know but I would bet Albert, barring injury, performs better this year than the past two. I don’t have inside information. But my theory is that he sometimes puts too much pressure on himself. In 2011 it was question of the contract and all the attention that drew–he was terrible the first part of the season, but then returned to form. Last year it was the move, the attention (incl. billboards I heard), the new league, the need to prove he was worth it (nobody’s worth that much in my view), etc. He was even worse early on and for longer than in 2011, but then he quietly became Albert again. This year he has a season in the AL under his belt and he’s not the center of attention–I almost pity Hamilton in that regard. And Trout is going to be under a lot of scrutiny by people eagerly awaiting symptoms of sophomore jinx. And, I hope, Albert can just be Albert.

8. edwardssarrain - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Sad, though we still have Encarnación… Though I don’t loose hope, Go DR!

9. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I need said I thought he was a liar.People have just brought that up at times…I just.hope he doesn’t crap over the contract

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5006)