Jan 17, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
As recently as 2009 he was an All-Star who hit .285 with 23 homers and a .903 OPS for the Rockies, but Hawpe hasn’t been the same since leaving Colorado. No longer calling Coors Field home is part of it, but the injuries would have wrecked him anyway.
Hawpe was released by the Rangers midway through last season after mediocre production in 35 games at Triple-A following Tommy John elbow surgery. At age 34 he’ll try to snag a bench job in Pittsburgh, but the Pirates are pretty well stocked in first basemen and corner outfielders.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (81)