Jan 17, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
As recently as 2009 he was an All-Star who hit .285 with 23 homers and a .903 OPS for the Rockies, but Hawpe hasn’t been the same since leaving Colorado. No longer calling Coors Field home is part of it, but the injuries would have wrecked him anyway.
Hawpe was released by the Rangers midway through last season after mediocre production in 35 games at Triple-A following Tommy John elbow surgery. At age 34 he’ll try to snag a bench job in Pittsburgh, but the Pirates are pretty well stocked in first basemen and corner outfielders.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 19
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 128
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (129)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)