Jan 17, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
As recently as 2009 he was an All-Star who hit .285 with 23 homers and a .903 OPS for the Rockies, but Hawpe hasn’t been the same since leaving Colorado. No longer calling Coors Field home is part of it, but the injuries would have wrecked him anyway.
Hawpe was released by the Rangers midway through last season after mediocre production in 35 games at Triple-A following Tommy John elbow surgery. At age 34 he’ll try to snag a bench job in Pittsburgh, but the Pirates are pretty well stocked in first basemen and corner outfielders.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)