Jan 17, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
As recently as 2009 he was an All-Star who hit .285 with 23 homers and a .903 OPS for the Rockies, but Hawpe hasn’t been the same since leaving Colorado. No longer calling Coors Field home is part of it, but the injuries would have wrecked him anyway.
Hawpe was released by the Rangers midway through last season after mediocre production in 35 games at Triple-A following Tommy John elbow surgery. At age 34 he’ll try to snag a bench job in Pittsburgh, but the Pirates are pretty well stocked in first basemen and corner outfielders.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)