Jan 17, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
This week the Cubs had a bunch of their top prospects in Chicago for an “acclamation program” and two speakers brought in to speak to them were Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.
Both were amazing prospects and neither had the career many people expected, although Wood and to a lesser extent Prior certainly weren’t total busts.
“Who better to know and understand having all the hype, having all the pressure, being the young guy coming up and then performing in his environment?” senior vice-president of scouting/player development Jason McLeod told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune. “Who better than those two guys? Those had to have been two of the most hyped Cubs prospects of the last 15-20 years.”
Wood retired in May of last season following a 14-year career in the majors that included a Rookie of the Year award and two All-Star appearances. Prior made the All-Star team and finished third in the Cy Young award voting during his first full season at age 22, but hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2006 and made various comeback attempts while pitching in the minors since then.
Meanwhile, the Cubs didn’t invite Sammy Sosa to their annual Cubs Convention.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)