Jan 17, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
This week the Cubs had a bunch of their top prospects in Chicago for an “acclamation program” and two speakers brought in to speak to them were Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.
Both were amazing prospects and neither had the career many people expected, although Wood and to a lesser extent Prior certainly weren’t total busts.
“Who better to know and understand having all the hype, having all the pressure, being the young guy coming up and then performing in his environment?” senior vice-president of scouting/player development Jason McLeod told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune. “Who better than those two guys? Those had to have been two of the most hyped Cubs prospects of the last 15-20 years.”
Wood retired in May of last season following a 14-year career in the majors that included a Rookie of the Year award and two All-Star appearances. Prior made the All-Star team and finished third in the Cy Young award voting during his first full season at age 22, but hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2006 and made various comeback attempts while pitching in the minors since then.
Meanwhile, the Cubs didn’t invite Sammy Sosa to their annual Cubs Convention.
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 11
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 3
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 8
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Bryce Harper continues to lead N.L All-Star voting; Buster Posey passes Yadier Molina 19
- Rob Manfred expects there to be spring training games in Cuba next year 13
- Stephen Strasburg has a left trapezius strain 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 106
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (177)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)