Jan 17, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
This week the Cubs had a bunch of their top prospects in Chicago for an “acclamation program” and two speakers brought in to speak to them were Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.
Both were amazing prospects and neither had the career many people expected, although Wood and to a lesser extent Prior certainly weren’t total busts.
“Who better to know and understand having all the hype, having all the pressure, being the young guy coming up and then performing in his environment?” senior vice-president of scouting/player development Jason McLeod told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune. “Who better than those two guys? Those had to have been two of the most hyped Cubs prospects of the last 15-20 years.”
Wood retired in May of last season following a 14-year career in the majors that included a Rookie of the Year award and two All-Star appearances. Prior made the All-Star team and finished third in the Cy Young award voting during his first full season at age 22, but hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2006 and made various comeback attempts while pitching in the minors since then.
Meanwhile, the Cubs didn’t invite Sammy Sosa to their annual Cubs Convention.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 11
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)