Curt Schilling’s bloody sock goes up for auction

Jan 17, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT

Schilling bloody sock

Own a piece of history! And then do DNA testing on it to see if the conspiracy theorists were right and it was really just Karo syrup!

Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling is selling the blood-stained sock he wore during the 2004 World Series after the collapse of his Providence-based video game company. The sports director at Heritage Auctions tells The Associated Press online bidding begins around Feb. 4. Live bidding will take place in New York City on Feb. 23.

The sock had been on loan to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It’s now at Heritage’s Dallas headquarters and is expected to bring in at least $100,000.

Schilling listed the sock as collateral in his company’s bankruptcy filing back in October. Schilling also recently put his 26-acre, 20-room home in Massachusetts on the market.  The dude is obviously in trouble.

BBWAA, please: put this man in the Hall of Fame so he can charge more for his autograph at card shows and stuff. Help a brother out, will ya?

1. djjackson81 - Jan 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM

A real warrior Shill needs and deserves the hall of fame

• stoutfiles - Jan 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM

This ISN”T the sock that everyone thinks it is. It’s a different sock from Game 2 of the WS. Who cares…

• fanofevilempire - Jan 18, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I hated this dude for running his mouth but I feel for the guy now.

• mtr75 - Jan 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

There are very fewer bigger POS’s in sports than this guy. A selfish, gutless coward. I’m loving every minute of watching his downfall.

2. pisano - Jan 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Who in Gods name would want the stinky sock of that back stabbing scumbag?

• 18thstreet - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I’m giving a thumbs up to the first part of that sentence. I don’t want anyone’s old sock under any circumstances.

Good grief, there are soup kitchens that could use a few bucks and there’s people who are going to try and buy a sock.

• badintent - Jan 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Lets get some Wall street investment banker to buy the damn thing and then have a public burning. Or we can call the dude that bought Barrys Bonds ‘s ball and lauch both of them(the items and the players ) into orbit ! Hot Damn ! Pass the rocket fuel would ya ??

3. shaggylocks - Jan 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Schilling really screwed over a lot of families when his video game company tanked, and didn’t handle the public scrutiny of his business decisions with much grace or class. You want to talk character clause? How about a guy who cut off his employees health care without telling them after convincing them to move their families to Rhode Island by claiming his company would sell their old houses, which it never did? That’s a real stand up guy right there. I hope the sock nets more than it’s expected to and that Schilling doesn’t see a dime of it.

• 18thstreet - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Whatever the hell the character clause means. Look: TOM YAWKEY IS IN THE HALL OF FAME. http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201111/another-era-and-another-sport-sex-abuse-scandal-still-inflicting-pain-today

Please don’t pretend that the clause is a reason to vote against someone. TOM YAWKEY IS IN THE HALL OF FAME.

• badintent - Jan 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Great article, thanks, surprised that Jim Rice never used said trainer head’s for a T-ball practice. Yawkey got his, never got a WS ring for his second rate minor league team. Karma

4. delusionalcardsfan - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Couldn’t have happened to a better dude.

5. chacochicken - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM

So, hypothetically, if I could get, say one of Curt’s kidneys, how much would that be worth?

6. pinkfloydprism - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM

“Schilling listed the sock as collateral in his company’s bankruptcy filing back in October.”

That is the one of the funniest things I have read… ever. I should try this with my lender.

7. Detroit Michael - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Assuming that one wants to spend big $$ on baseball memorabilia, does it really make sense to buy something that might decompose or deteriorate?

• historiophiliac - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Um, well, it all kinda does that. Paper. Leather. Cotton. Yeah, it all has to be preserved.

8. bricktop02 - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM

That wasn’t his sock it was his manpon.

9. robmar924 - Jan 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Sell the sock, get boatloads of money and get working on KoA Reckoning 2!

10. therightisalright - Jan 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM

If I wanted ketchup on my socks I would just go get a free packet at Mickey D’s. Why would anyone enter a bid for a ketchup stained sock? Oops my bad, we are talking about the same fan base that actually rooted for the estrogen queen Manny so I guess anything is possible.

11. tfbuckfutter - Jan 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

$100,000?

Pff, I can get like…..100,000 of Ron Jeremy’s jerkoff socks for that.

12. ejannetta - Jan 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM

You mean FAKE bloody sox. I do remember reading an article where a former Red Sox teammate of Curt said that the sox was a fake. Knowing what I know about the character of Schilling, I do believe the other guy and why would another ballplayer lie about that?

13. phillyfanmatt - Jan 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I still say he is not deserving of the Hall of Fame.

14. sawxalicious - Jan 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I remember seeing the sock when I went to Cooperstown a few years ago…thought it was a permanent display. Regardless of the controversy, it was neat to see. I hope the money from the sock can go towards helping out some of the employees that got screwed over.

15. mtr75 - Jan 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Curt Schilling going broke – couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy! Watching an arch-conservative whine about the fact that the government won’t subsidize his private business: priceless.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic