Jan 17, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
We’re less than a month away from pitchers and catchers reporting to their respective spring training sites in Florida and Arizona, yet many familiar faces remain available, especially among relievers. However, one of them might be off the market very soon.
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants are in “advanced negotiations” with free agent right-hander Brandon Lyon. Discussions were tabled for a week as the club turned their focus to arbitration cases, but Baggarly hears that they have “aggressively pursued” him. Signing Lyon wouldn’t necessarily rule out the return of Brian Wilson, but Giants vice president Bobby Evans conceded that “there are only so many spots that can be filled.”
Lyon, 33, had a 3.10 ERA and 63/20 K/BB ratio over 61 innings last season between the Astros and Blue Jays. His 9.3 K/9 was easily the best of his career. Sergio Romo is expected to get a shot as the Giants’ closer this season, but Lyon offers some previous experience in the role, having saved 20 games as recently as 2010.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
40-man roster housecleaning, mostly.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Minnie Minoso, Tony Oliva and Ken Boyer are among those back on the 2014 ballot.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
New York has not hired a replacement for fired hitting coach Kevin Long yet and they also have an opening at first base coach after letting Mick Kelleher go.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Adams threw 44 innings in two seasons for the Phillies.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
A look at the tough calls the Royals will have to make following their World Series run.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
“He’s 20 years old. We think a lot of him and he has a bright future.”
Oct 30, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Mathis a career .196 hitter and has never topped a .650 OPS in nine seasons as a big leaguer.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s the longest-tenured Royal, but his production has slipped.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
“Obviously, he definitely would have been one of our starters.”
Oct 30, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT
Asked about his free agency, Panda only says: “I’m just going to celebrate.”
Oct 30, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Bochy has navigated the path to World Series crowns in 2010, 2012 and now 2014. In the process, the Giants have dispatched 10 consecutive postseason foes.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
There was no bitterness as Royals hitters talked about the mastery of Madison Bumgarner in this World Series.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 AM EDT
History’s Greatest Monsters were happy for different reasons last night.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
As he has done for a decade, really.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
The champagne and beer is flowing in the visitors clubhouse at Kauffman Stadium following the Giants’ Game 7 win …
Oct 30, 2014, 12:11 AM EDT
A breakdown of Alex Gordon’s two-out hit in the bottom of the ninth.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Here’s the final out of Wednesday night’s Game 7 that secured the Giants’ eighth World Series title …
Oct 29, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
A postseason legend is born
Oct 29, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Madison Bumgarner threw five scoreless innings to close out Game 7 on Wednesday night at Kauffman Stadium and allowed just one run in 21 total frames during the 2014 World Series
Oct 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Madison Bumgarner gets the win. And becomes a legend.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)