Jan 17, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
Garza gets a slight raise from the $9.5 million salary he made last season. The 29-year-old right-hander posted a 3.91 ERA and 96/32 K/BB ratio over 103 2/3 innings before being shut down in mid-July with a stress reaction in his right elbow.
Garza has resumed throwing and is expected to be ready for spring training, but he could become a valuable trade chip if he proves his health. He’s currently set to become a free agent following the 2013 season.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (156)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)