Jan 17, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Now that the Orioles have signed center fielder Adam Jones, manager Buck Showalter, and general manager Dan Duquette to long-term contract extensions Matt Wieters would also like to sign up for the long haul in Baltimore.
Wieters told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he’s “always been interested” in a long-term deal because “it’s a fun place to play and it’s a place where I enjoy playing.”
Wieters is arbitration eligible for the first time this season, which means he’s already under team control through 2015 and won’t be a free agent until age 30. To sign a good but not great catcher to a long-term extension that goes into his 30s would be a risk for the Orioles, although obviously it all depends on Wieters’ asking price.
He hasn’t quite lived up to the prospect hype as the next big thing, but Wieters has been very solid during the past two seasons while winning back-to-back Gold Glove awards and hitting .255 with 45 homers and a .771 OPS in 283 games.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
But teams should be coming to him.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT
Clayton Kershaw strikes out 15 as the Dodgers sweep the Giants.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
Justin Turner was going to be out by a mile on this ill-advised stolen base attempt in the bottom of the fourth inning Wednesday night at Dodger Stadium, but he got a little creative …
Sep 2, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
There’s expected to be an update coming Thursday.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
Ruben Tejada scored an inside-the-park home run Wednesday at Citi Field when Phillies outfielder Domonic Brown flipped over the wall down the right field line in the bottom of the second inning …
Sep 2, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg was pulled after four rough innings Sunday against the Marlins with discomfort in his upper back, and now the injury is going to cost him his next rotation turn.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
It shows very poor planning on the part of the Twins’ decision-makers, who let Berrios throw 161 1/3 innings this season between Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Rochester …
Sep 2, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
Cardinals right-hander Carlos Martinez was scratched from his scheduled start Tuesday night against the Nationals with what was described as a minor back issue.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Arizona has a scheduled team off day Thursday, so Goldschmidt is only going to miss a game or two.
Sep 2, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Pujols is now just one of four players in the history of Major League Baseball to reach the 35-homer plateau in 10 of his first 15 major league seasons.
Sep 2, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Cabrera signed a minor league deal with San Francisco in mid-July after getting released by the Orioles.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
He said the job he did was “masterful.” You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT
Left-hander Tyler Lyons will start in Wacha’s place against the Nationals.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
Franco has had a fantastic rookie season.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
“He’s our closer . . . Rooooosebuuuuuudddd”
Sep 2, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
64/4 K/BB ratio in 60 innings.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
And, I would guess, it wont be such serious business here after a few years either.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:31 AM EDT
Of course their biggest problem is not going anyplace, as he owns the team.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Miguel Sano statistical porn.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
A picture of A-Rod from yesterday — not this one — seems to be the tiebreaker here.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 48
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)