Jan 17, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Venable gets a raise from $1.475 million to $2.675 million in his second season of arbitration eligibility after the 30-year-old outfielder hit .264 with nine homers, 24 steals, and a .765 OPS in 148 games to more or less equal his career norms.
As is the case with many Padres hitters Venable’s numbers away from Petco Park were significantly better and his raw totals could jump this year with the fences moving in. He’s expected to start in right field this season and will be arbitration eligible again in 2014 before hitting the open market as a free agent.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)