Jan 17, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Venable gets a raise from $1.475 million to $2.675 million in his second season of arbitration eligibility after the 30-year-old outfielder hit .264 with nine homers, 24 steals, and a .765 OPS in 148 games to more or less equal his career norms.
As is the case with many Padres hitters Venable’s numbers away from Petco Park were significantly better and his raw totals could jump this year with the fences moving in. He’s expected to start in right field this season and will be arbitration eligible again in 2014 before hitting the open market as a free agent.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)