Jan 17, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
I’m sure you wanted to know what Pete Rose thinks of the Lance Armstrong situation. Thankfully, he was on Today Show this morning and was asked about it:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
No word on his views of Manti Te’o.
Speaking of Armstrong, Rose and Te’o, it’s probably a good time to think hard about why our sports media keeps getting duped by lying athletes. To that end, here is a great article from Poynter about how these things keep happening and how the media can most effectively address it. As for how we ended up here in the first place. It’s not just lax fact-checking. It’s that baloney has is, in reality, a feature of sports coverage, not a bug:
But this relaxed approach to sports coverage — which certainly isn’t universal — is only part of the problem. More problematic these days is the fact that sports writers and producers are always on the hunt for a narrative, something that can elevate games above boring statistics and leaderboard shuffling.
All journalists love telling a good story, but sports coverage and presentation have become reliant on it. A game can’t just be a series of pre-prepared tactics and random interventions of chance. These days, it needs to be a clash of iconic personalities, the heroes of our modern mythology playing out their epic storylines one installment at a time.
We’ve been railing against that kind of thing in baseball for years. When we do, we’re often told that we don’t truly understand what’s going on if we don’t know the personalities and the drama involved. Personally, I’m cool with staying away from that kind of drama.
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 11
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)