Jan 17, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Saltalamacchia gets $4.5 million in his second year of arbitration eligibility after making $2.5 million last season while hitting .222 with 25 homers and a .742 OPS at age 27.
Saltalamacchia has shown a ton of power in two full seasons with the Red Sox, smacking 41 homers and 40 doubles in 763 at-bats, but he’s hit just .228 with a ghastly .288 on-base percentage.
He’s slated to platoon with free agent signing David Ross behind the plate this season, seeing most of his playing time versus right-handed pitching.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)