Jan 17, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Saltalamacchia gets $4.5 million in his second year of arbitration eligibility after making $2.5 million last season while hitting .222 with 25 homers and a .742 OPS at age 27.
Saltalamacchia has shown a ton of power in two full seasons with the Red Sox, smacking 41 homers and 40 doubles in 763 at-bats, but he’s hit just .228 with a ghastly .288 on-base percentage.
He’s slated to platoon with free agent signing David Ross behind the plate this season, seeing most of his playing time versus right-handed pitching.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 59
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 52
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 21
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29