Jan 17, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Saltalamacchia gets $4.5 million in his second year of arbitration eligibility after making $2.5 million last season while hitting .222 with 25 homers and a .742 OPS at age 27.
Saltalamacchia has shown a ton of power in two full seasons with the Red Sox, smacking 41 homers and 40 doubles in 763 at-bats, but he’s hit just .228 with a ghastly .288 on-base percentage.
He’s slated to platoon with free agent signing David Ross behind the plate this season, seeing most of his playing time versus right-handed pitching.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (110)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)