Jan 17, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Ankiel briefly thrived after shifting from pitcher to outfielder, but he’s really struggled for the past four seasons while hitting just .234 with a .678 OPS in 386 games.
He can play all three outfield spots and (obviously) has a great arm, but Ankiel is now 33 years old and the highest OPS he posted from 2009-2012 was .709. He’ll compete for a bench gig.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)