Jan 17, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Ankiel briefly thrived after shifting from pitcher to outfielder, but he’s really struggled for the past four seasons while hitting just .234 with a .678 OPS in 386 games.
He can play all three outfield spots and (obviously) has a great arm, but Ankiel is now 33 years old and the highest OPS he posted from 2009-2012 was .709. He’ll compete for a bench gig.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)