Jan 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
The roster for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic was just announced. It breaks down like this:
Catchers: Joe Mauer, J.P. Arencibia, Jonathan Lucroy
1B: Mark Teixeira
2B: Brandon Phillips
SS: Jimmy Rollins
3B: David Wright
Utility: Ben Zobrist, Willie Bloomquist
Outfielders: Ryan Braun, Adam Jones, Giancarlo Stanton, Shane Victorino
Lefties: Jeremy Affeldt, Tim Collins, Derek Holland, Glen Perkins
Righties: Heath Bell, Mitchell Boggs, Steve Cishek, R.A. Dickey, Luke Gregerson, Craig Kimbrel, Kris Medlen, Chris Perez, Vinnie Pestano, Ryan Vogelsong
Interesting: only four starters, though the particular format and rules of the WBC make that a lot more reasonable than you’d think. Better to have a lot of arms throwing short innings than a few throwing many. And those four starters — Dickey, Medlen, Vogelsong, Holland — are pretty good.
Also interesting: That’s a good outfield.
So there’s your USA team. Teams from other countries to be released later today.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)